UKC

Dehydrated food for dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Left the forums 26 Jan 2015

I have a very vague concept of re-visiting a long journey that I did many years ago (30 years ago), difference is that this time I'd like to take the dog with me. The journey could be up to 3 months long and in the initial stages could involve carrying everything I/dog needs for 5 to 7 days (5 days is likely to be the max but I'd like to have a bit of leeway due to bad weather/injury etc.). Journey would be in the UK and as far as possible I would want to follow the original path rather than create a new one.

If I do decide that I want to do this journey I will of course seek vets advice etc but before I even go there I need to consider how I feed the dog/carry her food.

Has any one used dehydrated food for dogs? Any one got any advice on medium term effects of using dehydrated dog food?

The plan is very much in the concept stage so I'll easily abandon it if I can't find a way of ensuring the dog will be ok.
Post edited at 13:09
 d_b 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Have you considered making jerky and/or pemmican to supplement standard dry food? It's pretty easy to do and it keeps well.
ceri 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Dog biscuits are surely dehydrated food for dogs?
In reply to davidbeynon:

Suspect any resupply point will be via post offices for first couple of months not sure if they would accept/I could ensure this would work, but will look into it.
In reply to ceri:

Dog is currently fed on a mixture of dry and wet food - just going dry is a possibility but still requires a fairly large volume for 5 to 7 days - plus working out resupplies.
ceri 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853: Is dog big enough to carry any of its own food e.g. panniers? I would have thought a good quality high energy, high protein dog food would be fairly energy dense.

In reply to ceri:

Dog is a mixture, roughly Lab/ lurcher/collie size and would be capable of carrying some stuff but there is no way I'd consider this, the journey would be a significant challenge for her (although one that I'd expect she would enjoy) just because of the length rather than a day walk.

Will look into high protein dog food and resupply options as this maybe a way forward, thanks.
 marsbar 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

My dog always has complete dry food. Barking Heads is favourite at the moment.
In reply to marsbar:

Ok, complete dry food is an option and I'll consider this and look into it further.

Normal dried dog food still contains quiet a lot of moisture (as far as I'm aware). Are any of the commercially available dehydrated foods good/viable for what I have in mind or should I avoid thinking they might be.
In reply to Andy 976853:

Andy, I'm a vet. What you're doing sounds interesting, and could be great fun for you both. I've only really got a couple of observations:

1) complete dry food has about 10% moisture content, so going for a totally dehydrated food - should one exist (I have no experience) - wouldn't save much weight. Notwithstanding the issues for and against dry diets, they are at least balanced and would save a lot of hassle.

2) your comment that it would all be dependent on a veterinary opinion is sound.

I'd probably be sorting 2 out before getting too far into 1
 Dave the Rave 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
Can you rehydrate beef jerky?
Removed User 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Look at K9 dogfood, I almost used it for the Cape Wrath Trail but settled for sachets of Pedigree packed in daily pack with some complete dry food (Omega) the dog survived and loved it!
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Martin, would you be happy for me to contact you away from the forum, I have a suspicion that any vets I speak to will ere on the side of caution - whilst I'm also erring on the side of caution I don't wont to be put off totally unless this it is a real no go.
In reply to Andy 976853:

Yeah, no problem.
In reply to Removed User:

The Cape wrath trail is a similar journey to what I've got planned, just slightly longer as it extends to include Wales and England so extends the time span - I think this is what I'm most concerned about re food.
 marsbar 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Just had a thought. Dogs on dried food do need more water. Probably obvious.
 StuDoig 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Look at dried complete dog foods aimed at working dogs (i.e. ones that will be hard at it day in, day out) Burns is a good brand, as are Eden or csj. The higher the quality of the feed, the less you'll find you need often as well. Look into distributers of these foods as well - often there will be rural distributors that will avoid you having to seek out big towns.

Our hound normally eats dried kibbles and has no complaints so long as there is plenty of water for her. Consider taking some treats as well though (rawhide strips are a fav of hers and weigh nothing - good for teeth too) for her to chew on at night for a bit of variety as well.

If you're changing her diet, do it well in advance of setting off if you can to avoid a new food disagreeing with your dog. We often get a couple of days of dodgy poos / upset stomachs from ours when we change her diet, even just between kibbles.

Cheers,

Stuart
In reply to Andy 976853:
I have always fed my dogs on flaked muesli ( working dog food) with bits of kibble in there.
When carrying dog stuff I bag food down into individual portions and it might be worth investing in a pack for the dog so that it can carry some of the weight. Ruff wear have a few options though they are quite expensive, that would also double as your harness for river crossings.
In reply to Andy 976853:

My g
Dog is fed exclusively on dry kibble. He has a cup of water on it but it helps keep his teeth clean and is better nutritionally than wet food which can be as much as 80% water.
Removed User 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853: I did a lot of research and settle for the Pedigree sachets and dry food I weighed her food before and fed her the chosen rations for a couple of weeks before and then packed it in bags, she lost very little weight after 2 weeks off the lead and loved it I'm seriously jealous because it sounds as if you are doing my dream but work buggered that, my employers were taken over and the new owners wouldn't agree to my 3 month sabbatical which the previous owners had agreed to. Thedog a 2 year old lurcher.

ranger*goy 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Have a look at the Orijen range. The cat treats are freeze dried. Bloody expensive stuff though.
 Billhook 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Aren't there any shops where you intend passing where the dog could have a treat of real meat?
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> better nutritionally than wet food which can be as much as 80% water.

I don't think either are particularly great nutritionally. Dry and wet food alike contain significant percentages of cereals/grain which dogs just don't digest. Hence the squishy, large and gross smelling shit that most people think is normal for dogs (not to mention the room clearing farts). Dogs have been domesticated for around 10,000 years... wolves (their ancestors) eat raw meat and small amounts of vegetation. 10k years is about 10 times too short a time period for the adaptation of the digestive system to deal with new food groups effectively.

So why did these crappy dry and wet foods come about? Well, both often made by FMCG conglomerates (Mars -> Pedigree for example), it is a way for them to make money from waste products. It makes perfect sense and often the charge more to claim great quality. Price is almost no reflection on quality when it comes to dog food.

Raw feeding has grown in popularity in recent years. I swear by it. Mine eats around 80% raw meat/bone and 20% veggies, she has very little poo and what she does have is firm and really doesn't smell much at all. People are always surprised and tell me she isn't normal. The great irony is that that is how it should be.

Anyway, I'll shut up here. But if anyone is interested, have a google and if you want recommendations of places to get some food... let me know (you will need freezer space).
Post edited at 14:33
 arch 28 Jan 2015
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

^
This............

Not all dry foods are stuffed with cereals and grain...mine eats this.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=229...

But you are right that most dry dog food is nutritionally pretty shit. I opt for the above for convenience, bloody expensive though, they better not be lying on the packet
In reply to Removed User:

K9 dog food review - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=142...

Pedigree - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=188...

Both feature on that site as very poor quality (1 star, their lowest ranking) dog food. But for 7 days i'm sure it doesn't matter at all and weight and convenience are the primary factors.
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
Looks interesting. To be honest I am looking for something to mix with the raw diet so may investigate further. At the moment her food is costing me around £85 a month! More than I spend on my own food I expect!

(here ends the hijack of OPs thread!)
Post edited at 16:24
Removed User 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
A misunderstanding the sachets I used were a meat?product which I used to spice up the dried food I used.
Left the forums 29 Jan 2015

Happy for the thread to go off topic/be hijacked.

The walk (if it goes ahead) will be in the range of 3 months encompassing some of the remotest parts of the uk as well as far more easy to deal with sections, as such I can't/don't want to plan it to the nth degree. All the replies have been helpful in focusing my mind on what the important issues are and I thank everyone for there input.

Thanks to all contributors to the thread. A special thanks to Martin who provided a very considered response away from the public thread.

Andy
 mark burley 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
I've done 4-5 day backpacks with my dog on a number of occasions so nowhere near your distance and carried dried food in seperate sandwich bags 1 per day and dried fish skins for treats as they weigh nothing. But he eats dry food anyway. Arden sensitive at the moment.
What I would suggest is food wasn't the issue but pad abrasion was a problem. Look at dog pad treatments like mushers wax or even dog boots. My dog had bloodied pads after 4 steady days on Lakeland paths 3 years running despite my encouragement to walk on the nice soft green grass to the side.
Left the forums 05 Feb 2015
In reply to mark burley:

Pads are a real concern, think dog booties will be experimented with. Anyone got any experience of introducing a dog to booties - I feel a few (potentially expensive) experiments coming on...
In reply to Andy 976853:

I suspect you'll end up with a few of these instances: youtube.com/watch?v=WDxrfEeRYAk&
Left the forums 05 Feb 2015

I suspect so too - laughing out loud describes me on watching the clip
 marsbar 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

I tend to introduce new stuff to my dog by association with cheese. He loves cheese and will do anything I ask when I have some in my hand!! I haven't tried any kind of footwear though.

marsbar 05 Feb 2015

Love it.
 mark burley 06 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

I suppose it depends from dog to dog but my border hasn't been able to keep the ruff wear ones on. I saw some good semi disposable ones on a dog from inner wolf but I don't know which they were.
Yes, expensive trial and error.
 mark burley 06 Feb 2015

Loving that clip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...