UKC

Bonnington on Hoy on the One Show this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leland stamper 26 Jan 2015

Ok I was hooked 50 years ago and I am again. Bonnington may be aposh git but he walked the walk.
Post edited at 19:19
 Mick Ward 26 Jan 2015
In reply to leland stamper:

I think he's pretty much always walked the walk. How many could have kept up with Whillans, in his prime, in the Alps? I'm glad he's still fighting the good fight, as best he can, as best any of us can.

mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

So Chris and Leo H got as far as the cliffs overlooking Hoy tonight. More impressive was the sledges used to transport all the TV equipment 50 years ago. I seem to remember although the climb was a "TV first" the climbing community took the piss.
 cwarby 27 Jan 2015

Just watched them climbing it and he was bemoaning the fact that he couldn't bridge as well!! I have to say doing any part of an E1 at 80, let alone a multipitch, Respect.

Chris

Fantastic footage of the climb this evening, 10 mins in if you get it on iPlayer. Does anyone know if there will be a longer film made?
In reply to Cath Sinclair:

The 2 videos on Grough are well worth watching:

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/01/27/new-youtube-footage-released-of...
 The New NickB 27 Jan 2015

Bonington, given how famous he is, it is amazing how often it is wrongly spelt. Even on UKC.
In reply to The New NickB:

I stand corrected. I have the same problem. Still is he worth the fame?
 felt 28 Jan 2015

> Bonington, given how famous he is, it is amazing how often [he] is wrongly spelt.

Same with Ghandi, Hilary Clinton, Neitsche, Louis MacNiece, William Caulfield, etc.
 graeme jackson 28 Jan 2015

> Bonington, given how famous he is, it is amazing how often it is wrongly spelt. Even on UKC.

Wonder how many people realise his first name is Christian, not Christopher given he's only ever refered to as Sir Chris.
 jlmaskey 28 Jan 2015

And what's it got to do with his background. Being privileged (posh to you) is the last acceptable stereotype these days it seems. If people went around saying 'he did well but he was a bit common or a bit of a chav' then people would be up in arms...
 The New NickB 28 Jan 2015
In reply to felt:

> Same with Ghandi, Hilary Clinton, Neitsche, Louis MacNiece, William Caulfield, etc.

I've been caught out on another thread misspelling Leon Brittan, but it's not the worst thing that had happened to him this week and anyway, what has he done on grit?
 The New NickB 28 Jan 2015
In reply to jlmaskey:

> And what's it got to do with his background. Being privileged (posh to you) is the last acceptable stereotype these days it seems. If people went around saying 'he did well but he was a bit common or a bit of a chav' then people would be up in arms...

Much less privileged than people think, although undoubtably a bit posh.
 spartacus 28 Jan 2015
In reply to jlmaskey:

> And what's it got to do with his background. Being privileged (posh to you) is the last acceptable stereotype these days it seems. If people went around saying 'he did well but he was a bit common or a bit of a chav' then people would be up in arms...

I agree, can you imagine the response if the statement was;
'He did well but he was Black'. Or
'He did well even though he was from Wales'
 Robert Durran 28 Jan 2015

> Still is he worth the fame?

Absolutely. No question.

In reply to Aztec Bar:

So Cameron and his cabinet would have made it into government if they had gone to the local comprehensive because they are just talented human beings. Do you not understand the difference between being black or Welsh and being privileged?
 spartacus 28 Jan 2015
I think you have your own issues about privilege and the Conservative Government.

The point made is that a few groups including posh people and probably White middle aged males are fair game for abuse and stereotyping in a way which other groups would not.
Post edited at 17:46
 spartacus 28 Jan 2015
Second point the word 'Privileged' was not used in your original post, You said he was 'a posh git'.

I would suggest if the connection is that he had a plummy accent and was therefore posh it is not something he had much say in, it was a result in his upbringing.

The common connection being we have no personal choice in our accent, colour or national origin or for that matter sexual orientation. So how is OK to criticise someone because of how they sound?
Post edited at 18:33
As someone who is approaching my 67th birthday I found his comments on age really interesting. Wanting to make his next decade to 90 really count is a great inspiration. Especially after his recent loss he retains such a positive outlook.
Removed User 29 Jan 2015

> Ok I was hooked 50 years ago and I am again. Bonnington may be aposh git but he walked the walk.

Out of interest you seem to be saying your hooked again, despite the fact he's a posh git. I understand you intend it to be funny but why posh and why a git?

It may answer some of the discussion on this post. Having read about his life he does not seem to come from a particularly privileged background. Is it the accent that's the problem or the behaviour?

Yanis Nayu 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Removed Userclaire14:

My father-in-law did National Service with Chris Bonington and says that everyone had the greatest of respect for him.
In reply to Aztec Bar:

The use of the term posh git by me is just an alternative to privileged which I suspect Bonington would accept - top public school followed by Sandhurst and a commission. Having read a biography a long time ago I' m aware it wasn't a smooth pathway all the way, but he follows in the tradition of posh git British climbers and mountaineers. I' m well aware of the chip on my shoulder just as I'm aware of my own privilege as a white middle class male. For me Bonington has always just managed to walk on the right side although not quite as well as Whilans and others as opposed to Templeman Adams and his ilk.
 Postmanpat 31 Jan 2015

For me Bonington has always just managed to walk on the right side although not quite as well as Whilans and others as opposed to Templeman Adams and his ilk.

What does that actually mean?
 mbh 31 Jan 2015

What do you mean "just"? There's no "just" about that Ogre ascent or the Annapurna South Face. A Sandhurst commission won't get you up those (I guess, not having done them). You really do have to have something about you.

My sister-in-law, who is not an outdoors person, saw a talk of his a couple of years ago, as one of a series that she went to. From these she singled out his talk and he himself as particularly noteworthy. Afterwards, he was humble, engaging and approachable.

I have huge respect for him.
 Gael Force 01 Feb 2015
In reply to mbh:

He came across as an pretty down to earth on the screen, having met him a few times times here in the Lakes when he's been out climbing it seems pretty much how he is in real life...certainly inspirational to see someone in their eighties climbing at that level. Good effort!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...