UKC

INTERVIEW: Dave Macleod's book Make or Break released

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Jan 2015
Make or Break: Dave Macleod's latest book, 3 kbDave Macleod's latest book Make or Break: Don't let climbing injuries dictate your success is now available to pre-order. Following the success of his first publication - 9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakes - Dave's newest book is four years in the making and looks set to share some groundbreaking knowledge on injury diagnosis, rehabilitation and prevention that climbers of all ages and abilities would do well to take note of.

We caught up with Dave to find out more about the book and his motivation behind the project.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69450
 planetmarshall 27 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

"I’ve never been a strong climber" Lol.
 SuperstarDJ 27 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Pre-ordered a copy and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Niggling injuries are such a demotivating factor for me and being able to effectively recover and have some knowledge of prevention are maybe more important than training advice. I can still enjoy climbing as long as I can maintain my (very modest) standard, whereas if I start going backwards because I can't use what I have I will get very fed up.
Akeem 27 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Pre-ordered; we plan to use it like a topo and noting all our little pains in it: who, when and if the pain was harder or softer than expected.
 Fatal 27 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for this quality article (and for the general quality at UKC). Short report posted on Camptocamp http://www.camptocamp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=268605

Cheers,

Vincent
 jsmcfarland 27 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Pre-ordered it. Quite excited. Like Dave says, it's a bit of a minefield to navigate all the different advice. I've had really bad tennis elbow in both elbows for over a year, as well as mild carpal tunnel in the right hand and have started some eccentric loading exercises for the elbows, within a month of doing it regularly it's almost entirely cleared up. Wish I had known what the mystery pains were and how to deal with it all much earlier. I learned a lot from 9 out of 10 climbers and refer back to it fairly regularly, for psyche if nothing else.
 ericinbristol 28 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent, have just pre-ordered. I'm sure I will get a lot out of it, as I did from '9 out of 10 Climbers...'
 Morgan Woods 28 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

why pre-order? why no just order?
In reply to Morgan Woods:

The books haven't been delivered to Dave yet, so it's pre-order for now until they're available.
 Mr Fuller 29 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I saw the £29 price tag and it made me think twice. I then realised that the timescale, length, and scope of this project basically amounts to a PhD thesis. As I'm currently finishing mine I then realised that £29 is an absolute bargain for the amount of work that must have gone into it, and equivalent 'academic' books will cost approximately 10 times that amount.

My area of research is dogged with the same misinformation as Dave's and this is half the battle, as even just establishing the basics takes time. Despite people like Kelly Starrett getting popular in recent years, good information on things like posture and functional movement is still difficult to get hold of and is very poorly understood by most people. Books like Kendall's Muscles, Posture and Pain cost a bomb and unless you have a very good library nearby most people will never be able to read them, and so a book addressing the basics as well as specifics of climbing injuries sounds fantastic. I can't count the number of weeks I've spent injured, and if I could reduce the hours lost by even 10 % it'll be money well spent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...