UKC

Osprey Kestrel 48l vs 38l

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TNTTNT 27 Jan 2015
Hi, this is my first post so hello all.

I bought a long haired female German Shepherd puppy two and a half years ago and was introduced to the reality of walking several miles a day in all weather conditions. during the first winter I wore several kilos of general clothing, and through experimentation and research brought that down to grammes through wool base layers and synthetic layers. I can describe the synthetic layers in another post; they are 40g, 60g, 100g and 200g of Primaloft, plus 140g and 295g of down.

No main stores in the South East stock the Osprey Kestrel 38 or 48. I want a backpack which I can haul for day walks and has the flexibility to be used as a travel bag. I can only get an idea of size from youtube. Is it a better idea to buy a 48l given it is 1cm taller, 5 cm deeper and 3 cm wider, and use the compression straps to bring it closer to the 38l when half full? Depending on answer, is the 48l a better general choice, as I only want to buy one bag?
 funkyvin1 27 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

Hello

I bought my Osprey Kestrel 48 from Cotswold outdoor (multiple branches in the south east) the summer before last and they still had the Kestrel on display when was in there again at the weekend purchasing anther smaller Osprey bag, so they should be able to help you with the bags you are looking for.

Afraid I cannot comment much on which size would suit you best. It would simply be a case of finding a local store to you that has them in stock or can get them in from another branch and deciding which you'd prefer once you have seen and compared them both. What I can say is that the Osprey bags were for me at least the most comfortable to carry bags that I tried out when I was shopping around.

Good luck.
TNTTNT 27 Jan 2015
In reply to funkyvin1:

Many thanks. I have found Cotswold to be next to useless. They don't have any Kestrel 48 in reasonable distance, and I suspect that they will only order this one in. I think they have changed their policy on stock, as most time I have looked for jackets they have said I have to order in.

The fact you are very happy with 48 is a good sign though, so thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...