UKC

Layers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TNTTNT 28 Jan 2015
Relative newcomer to walking in all weathers. When looking for appropriate clothing I read about 3 layer system - wicking baselayer, fleece and waterproof shell. After following this advice I never felt that warm or comfortable.

Instead of adding or removing layers what are the drawbacks from wearing a thin wool baselayer and a single insulated waterproof shell, such as primaloft jacket with Pertex Shield+ skin, with an uninsulated Pertex Shield+ shell in the bag (250g)? I know an insulated shell wouldn't breath like an uncovered fleece, but could this be overcome by opening front zips and pit zips? I was reading one expert who suggested wearing one layer over baselayer so you could vent all layers at once (opening zips).

I thought rain could be a problem, but if it warm enough to rain you may just the wear the shell anyway.
 BusyLizzie 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

I have been surprised to find that baselayer + fleece + waterproof shell has kept me toasty even in wintry conditions (down jacket in sack for belaying); I think it's because I wear a really, really warm hat plus gloves plus neck buff (which wraps over face as needed), and it seems to be those extra accessories that make all the difference and mean that, despite being quite a chilly soul, I don't need a thicker layer. Temperature control is then easy because I can make quite a difference by taking off hat and other things gradually.

L
 ben b 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

Depends on how stop/start the day is and how miserable... intermittent exertion in snow/sleet and the Buffalo option is excellent IMO, and that's a single layer.

Personally these days: thin merino plus thicker merino or powerstretch with either a hardshell if hosing down or some softshell variant if not.

Could try the Rab Vapour-Rise as a single over baselayer, variable insulation, high breathable option - synthetic insulation tends to be too sweaty, although I haven't tried the new Patagonia Nano-Airs.

b

DancingOnRock 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

It may be your fleece. I went down from a 350 to a 200 and then down to a Patagonia 'hairy' thing that's done me well for about ten years but is getting worn at the elbows.

If the fleece is too heavy you'll sweat and it won't wick so you won't feel warm but you also may not notice the damp.
 Billhook 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

I have a simple solution developed over many years and requires minimal skill or fancy kit, although in all fairness if you have fancy kit you still need a bit of skill.

When you are too hot, you either unbutton or take off some extra clothing.
When you are too cool you either button up or add something extra.

Were all slightly different in our clothing requirements so my solution won't necessarily wok for you but the procedure will.

Mine goes like this.....

a) Look out of window guess the weather
b) Throw some appropriate clothing on
c) Put an extra layer in the bag. I normally have a bombpove and indistructable ex arm gillet but sometimes an extra thin fleece.
d) Leave house. If too warm take something off. If too cold put the bit of extra clothing on.

Simple
 Rip van Winkle 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

Depends on your activities, but I always reckon it's worth reminding yourself to have the confidence to set off cool, chilly even, knowing that you'll warm up, rather than forever stopping to faff about taking stuff off and putting it back on again.
 Billhook 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Rip van Winkle:

Your absolutely right Rip. Its called judgement!
 Guy Hurst 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

What works for me is a thin base layer, light fleece, windproof top and waterproof when it's really needed, with a Primaloft jacket for long stops or very cold days. A thick fleece makes me too hot when moving, but doesn't provide that much warmth for its bulk when static. Pertex windproof jackets are light, give great protection, let sweat out much better than waterproof jackets and save wear on the latter.
 Billhook 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

My 1st bit of advice may have been totally off target.

In answer to your first para, why can't you add a shirt?

As to the insulated shell, the problem whenever I've done this is that when you encounter warmer weather and it rains, you'll be too damn hot. So for walking or mountaineering I've rarely if ever used my insulated jacket. But it is handy for dossing around, birdwatching and taking the dog for a walk on cold days.
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Your absolutely right Rip. Its called judgement!

Nope. It's called experience. It's what the OP doesn't have and why they are asking for advice.

I think we all have the hang of putting clothes on and taking them off. I've been practicing it for 40odd years now.
 Carolyn 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

> As to the insulated shell, the problem whenever I've done this is that when you encounter warmer weather and it rains, you'll be too damn hot. So for walking or mountaineering I've rarely if ever used my insulated jacket. But it is handy for dossing around, birdwatching and taking the dog for a walk on cold days.

I'd agree a heavily insulated shell is likely to be too hot sometimes - although something with a bit of insulation, like a Paramo top, can work OK. I'm often out in a baselayer plus Paramo (and an extra layer under the Paramo if it's particularly cold, or I expect to be standing around lot), opening all the zips on the way up and then closing them when I stop working so hard. Plus a belay jacket to throw over the top if needed.

I run pretty cold, though, and even then there are days in the summer when I'd just take a pertex type top rather than the Paramo.
 Flinticus 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Pretty much the same for myself, though the base layer will be long sleeved and I often swop the light fleece with a gillet: generally this will do for most of my walks. A windproof top gets added when active in colder 'winter'* conditions / when 'three season' resting and the waterproof hardshell if raining / very windy. I keep a primaloft or light down jacket in my bag for 'winter' resting or really cold conditions with bad wind chill (when you're probably wearing a balaclava and full on gloves).

*Which can be encountered well into April
kerny 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:
Even in wintery conditions when ascending I only wear a wicking t-shirt and fleece because I sweat quite a bit, then when I have reach the top I take of my t-shirt and hat and dry my body and hair (still got some) with a micro towel and then I put on a long sleeved wicking shirt and my spare hat and then depending on the weather conditions usually my compression jacket. I also carry a second micro fleece and a very thin cheapo asda compression jacket which I got for a fiver but surprisingly it is very warm and light which I use under my Craghopper compression jacket if very cold.

My waterproof gore tex jacket only gets worn as a last resort.

I think that for most hillwalkers the hard work is done once you have reach the top and on the top that's where you start to feel the cold more because there is less exertion being done than on the actual ascent.
Post edited at 12:50
In reply to TNTTNT:

Personally, I'd get too hot walking in a primaloft jacket. I keep mine stuffed in the top of my sack outside the liner and then its there for easy access at stops.
Starting your walk cold is a good idea, as there is more often than not some ascent that needs to happen and you will soon warm up.

I really like Paramo as they tend to have various venting options for heat loss. Hats, gloves and buff type garments also aid cooling, if you have the option to rolling sleeves up also helps, though this is not possible on all jackets.
I'm sure most users on here would agree that it is trial and error to find out what works for you. Even now after nearly 15 years of walking and climbing I am still learning how to adjust my layers for the conditions and trying new things.
My first revelation was working out how to stay warm when wet as apposed to trying to stay dry.
Ultimately know one knows your body like you and you almost need to try a few options and see what works for you. There is plenty of good quality second hand kit available if you want to try some different clothing systems, but do not want to fork out the hefty investment that some of them require.
 Billhook 28 Jan 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

So we've people who need telling about putting more clothes on when they are cold and less clothes on when they are warm?
In reply to Dave Perry:
> So we've people who need telling about putting more clothes on when they are cold and less clothes on when they are warm?

I don't think we do. That was your take on the question.

My take is, that there is a recognised technical layering system in common use that the OP was having trouble getting to work.

In the 80's we wore cotton tshirts, lumberjack shirts, wooly jumpers and canvas Parker coats. And we were still cold. Maybe an extra wooly jumper required? Or perhaps not a cotton shirt?
Post edited at 14:42
kerny 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:
I think that it's more of a case of knowing what to wear and what not to wear and when to wear it... is better than saying if cold put more clothes on.... or if too hot take more clothes off. It's a lot different being out on the hills than sat watching a football match, plus... he/she was only questioning the 3 layer system.
Post edited at 15:17
TNTTNT 29 Jan 2015
All, I really appreciate your kindness in taking the time to comment. I am much more at home on the equator than North Pole and really feel the cold really badly. With the 3 layer system I (May be wrongly or not optimally) tuned body temperature by adding or removing merino base layers. This could be a bit of a faff to stop and relayer.

I think I need to be a bit more confident that I will warm up. Dave Perry made a good point about this.

I was out last couple of nights and did about 5 miles each, as fast as I could walk, up lots of gradients. I am nursing some mild injuries, so it was good to replace some lost gym fitness. I took my long haired German Shepherd who had her own hairy coat. The temperature was close to freezingat the outset, and was freezing on the last part.

To get round my fear of not having enough layers, but also not to carry unnecessary weight I put the clothes on 15 mins before setting off, to charge the layers up with hot air. I had a Icebreaker 260g baselayer and Montane Minimus Hybrid Jacket with 60g of primaloft silver eco, fleece gloves, merino neck gaiter and thinsulate beanie. I did start to get very warm, but opened up the jackets front and pitzips and was ok, even going as fast as I could.

I stopped for a pint on last leg and went out in the cold. I carried a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy in the bag (700g and 100g of Primaloft 1) and flung it over the Minimus and walked for half a mile and removed it when all the layers had warmed up.

If the temperatures are a few degrees above zero I can replace the ME Fitzroy with a Montane Prism, which I can sling over as a booster, or replace the warmer Minimus Hybrid with during the outing. The Minimus and the Prism are about 1kg combined, and I have a 250g ME lightweight shell in addition, in case I want to not wear any insulation.

Thanks again to all who gave views on the 3 layer system for your patience and sharing of experience, especially but not exclusively Dave Perry. In some ways I wish I could have got to grips with it because you have much more buying choice and can be good value for money.
In reply to TNTTNT:

My suggestions for layering systems can be found here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=377801

Insulated shells are a bit too 'niche', and lack the versatility of a multiple layer system; you cannot remove the insulation from the waterproof shell, or the waterproof shell from the insulation.

My one suggestion for increasing the versatility of the 'classic, three layer system' would be to add a wind resistant shell, to be worn as necessary when it's not actually raining. And my second would be to consider reducing the thickness of the fleece layer from 200 weight to 100 weight. As explained in the link.
 BnB 29 Jan 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Your post to which you linked is indeed excellent and I'd endorse everything therein with just a couple of caveats:

Firstly, dropping to a thinner fleece works well under the windshirt on the walk in but leaves you a bit under-insulated for later in the day when your heat output has dropped. Yes, you can fit the windshirt under the hardshell, but now you've got three, possibly four sets of sleeves and arm motion is impaired.

Secondly, new developments in breathable insulation confuse the picture further. This in no way renders your basic advice inappropriate and you recommend your system as a starting point not a destination, but it could well be that your 4 interchangeable layers plus belay jacket can soon be replaced by fewer garments with a wider comfortable operating range. The Patagonia Nano Air has an incredible range of comfort, far wider than the Polartec Alpha-based Rab Strata, which itself was revolutionary only a year ago, and on a different planet to traditional fleece. Only reluctantly am I parting with your recommended system, which I've employed myself with good success. but I'm pretty sure that the future looks different.

TNTTNT 29 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

I bought a Montane Alpha 100 jacket with Polartec Alpha and it is the only bit of kit I really regret buying. It's as breathable as a fleece, it's not as waterproof as an insulated shell and it's not as warm as a standard insulated jacket.

I was reading about the Patagonia Nano Air and the stats on air breathabilty look quite convincing. It seems to be a genuine fleece alternative, instead of many things to many people like Polartec Alpha. After the Polartec Alpha experiment I am a bit wary of new tech, and wait for more opinions and reviews next time.

I'm definitely going to look at a few lighter weight fleeces to see if there are other ways.
In reply to BnB:

You're right about the danger of reducing the weight of fleece, if that's all you do. I should have stressed that this should be done when adding the fifth, over layer to the system, to cope with stops and compensate for the reduction in static insulation.

Since TNTTNT asked about walking, arm movement isn't that important, but much more worthy of thought for climbing...

And it seems that TNTTNT has an unusual physiology, or hasn't adapted from equatorial mode, since he (?) appears to need a lot of insulation, even when warm. I'm currently skiing (at anywhere between 70-100km/h according to the GPS) in about -13C, wearing a variation of a four-layer system, and not getting uncomfortably cold. I've had to use a light down overlayer for a short period after being exposed to very strong, cold winds for a period.

The new insulations are interesting, but I'm sceptical of miraculous claims... Anything that allows airflow through the fabric is a double-edged sword; allows the fug to escape (good), but the heat also escapes (can be good, can be bad). As with soft shells, it's a balancing act between protection and permeability. Control of airflow through the system is key.

To the OP; I wouldn't recommend using multiple merino base layers, as they absorb and hold sweat. I'd recommend a thin base layer to wick sweat away from the skin, and encourage it to evaporate. The mid layer fleece allows the evaporated sweat to get to the shell layer, where it will hopefully escape, whilst retaining a layer of warm air about you, and not absorbing too much sweat. Sweat can condense in the fleece, but the open structure of most fleeces means that they don't wick well, so the sweat doesn't wick back to the body as much as it does with a base layer fabric.

Using an overlayer stops you needing to take all your clothes off to add a layer, so you don't lose all that trapped heat, and don't expose your core to the elements.
 SteveHolmes 30 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

> Relative newcomer to walking in all weathers. When looking for appropriate clothing I read about 3 layer system - wicking baselayer, fleece and waterproof shell. After following this advice I never felt that warm or comfortable.......

I recently wrote an article about kit and clothing for winter climbing. It is just an opinion and aimed at climbing but is easily adapted to walking by skipping over the technical equipment to the layering paragraph. For your interest it is here: http://www.breo.com/landing/gear-check---steve-holmes
 inboard 30 Jan 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
> I wouldn't recommend using multiple merino base layers, as they absorb and hold sweat.

Intereting, I guess it depends on your shell etc. I use up to 3 layers of merino under paramo aspira and find my wool layers dry at the end of a long day. I sweat a lot and was soaked when using event/Gtx.
Post edited at 11:14
In reply to inboard:

That is interesting, and may show the much improved 'breathability' of the Paramo system. But I note you say 'at the end of a long day'; it's quite common for a day to end with a relatively low activity walkout, which gives your underlayers time to dry out. In fact, on multi-day walking/camping trips, I try to make sure that's the case so that my clothes are dry by the time I get into camp (weather permitting...). Again, I suspect Paramo or other soft shell makes this easier than with membraned shells.

Stopping suddenly in the middle of the day after hard exertion might be a different matter. But the hen it can be for any hard-worked layering system...
 marsbar 31 Jan 2015
In reply to TNTTNT:

I've tended to go with more than 3 layers in colder weather. If I am spending time not moving I might wear a baselayer, 2 thin fleeces and a thick fleece then a jacket. Also what are you wearing on your legs?

I find a pair of thermal leggings can make a massive difference to keeping warm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...