UKC

Youngest female El-Cap ascent on iPlayer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 28 Jan 2015
Great little film about Ella, Andy Kirkpatrick's daughter mostly jugging with a little free climbing up El Cap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b051j5lj/my-life-shorts-2-the-big-clim...
 Andrew Holden 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Nice one
 Mick Ward 28 Jan 2015

What a sweet, lovely, heart-warming tale.

Mick

Fab
pasbury 29 Jan 2015

This is a similar tale: http://vocr.sri.com/herson/climbing/tr/niad-kara.html

It's quite inspiring what this guy and his daughter manage to climb.
 jon 29 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Yes. In addition Herson's daughter climbed it.
 The New NickB 29 Jan 2015

It's a great little film, about 18 months old now. Good to see that the BBC are still commissioning high quality kids TV dealing with adventure and good to see it is still available on iPlayer.
 DancingOnRock 29 Jan 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

It was shown again, recently, the day before the ElCap free climbers completed their climb.

I was surprised that jumarring is considered an ethical way of climbing. Seems big walls have different rules.

The haul sacks were 70kg each!

climbwhenready 29 Jan 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> I was surprised that jumarring is considered an ethical way of climbing. Seems big walls have different rules.

It's an aid climb? Jumarring would be odd if you claimed it as a free ascent, but once you're aiding, it's just about getting to the top, isn't it?
 DancingOnRock 29 Jan 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

Yes. She jummared 3000m and free climbed the last pitch. Pretty much an amazing achievement, not sure I could do that. It just seems at odds with youngest climber.
 Mr Trebus 29 Jan 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Yes. She jummared 3000m and free climbed the last pitch. Pretty much an amazing achievement, not sure I could do that. It just seems at odds with youngest climber.

It is a good achievement, but she was not the ed youngest. I remember reading something Ak had written that another younger girl had climbed it in the 80 / 90s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...