UKC

Question for Tricam fans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rapsling 28 Jan 2015
Are the new Camp Tricam Evos that much more useful than the originals? Is it actually worth upgrading?

I've heard the sling is stiffer, and the Tricams have slightly tapered bodies now, meaning they might go into a crack sideways, but I was wondering if people have found either of these modifications that useful?

Thanks guys.
 Andy Morley 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Rapsling:

Lend me one to try out and I'll tell you.
 damowilk 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Rapsling:

I only have one of the new ones, the smallest. Theoretically the stiffer sling is better for placing one handed above you. Ironically this is probably least useful for the smallest as its quite fiddly trying to place it like that, but I've done it a few times.
I wouldn't replace my old ones with the new ones, but if I was buying for the first time, or my old ones wear out or need replaced, I'll get the new ones.
OP Rapsling 29 Jan 2015
In reply to damowilk:

Thanks for your help
 Andrew Wilson 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Rapsling:

As above, placing one handed is easier. I have 2 of the new ones. The other 4 old ones have now been taped with duct tape just below where the sling wraps around the nut. This has stiffened them up nicely.

Andy.
OP Rapsling 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

Sounds like a good idea. You must be a bit better than me at placing them though, if you can tell if it's in properly when it's above head height.
 d_b 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Rapsling:

That's easy. Just fall on it.
 Andy Morley 29 Jan 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Has anyone here ever fallen on their tricam? I've only ever placed my own, never fallen on one.

How well did they work and did you encounter the reported problems in getting them out after a fall?
 d_b 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

Never fallen on one, but have weighted one resting.

Getting it out wasn't a big deal - just gave it a prod. It was the brown one, so getting fingers on it was easy - things might have been different with one of the small ones.
 Sharp 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Rapsling:
Just got a set of these http://www.koubaclimbing.co.uk/products/abalak

Not used them much yet but I think I'll get on better with them on wire, also 6 for £50 compared to £80 for 4 tricams sold me. I like the idea of being able to use them as standard nuts as well, they're still not that easy to place one handed but easier than the tri cams (especially if you slide the wire up a bit).
Post edited at 20:07
 Andy Morley 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Sharp:

You're probably going to hate me for saying this, but I have a climbing partner who owns a set of these tricam-like devices and he rarely uses them because he finds them awkward to place. I have a couple of original tricams which I probably use more often than 'Friend' style camming devices or hexes.

However, it's not all bad news - if you ever climb in a quarry with shot-holes, you'll probably use them a lot.

Sorry
 gdnknf 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Rapsling:
I've fallen onto the brown tricam placed in a small gritstone pocket. It held like a champ but took ages to remove. I only have the old style ones which I find adequate for just about everything. Not as easy as cams but lighter and narrower and make a decent duplicate or double.

I wouldn't bother getting the new evos. There are many DIY ways of stiffening slings which will certainly be cheaper.
Post edited at 20:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...