UKC

Warm sunny scrambles in September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 29 Jan 2015
Hi

Looking for a sunny hot (but not outrageously hot) location for scrambly/mountaineering-like hikes and maybe a bit of climbing for late September. Kind of like Kalymnos or Antalya climate but without the rock-jock single-pitch scene. You know, move Skye or the Dolomites to those locations for more general purpose fun. Does any place exist? Even better if it can be done without renting a car... Any suggestions very welcome.

eg. any of those many tourist islands any good for this sort of thing? Or Pyrenees locations maybe?

Cheers
Bruce
 streapadair 29 Jan 2015
In reply to BruceM:

Corsica would tick most of the boxes.
OP BruceM 29 Jan 2015
In reply to streapadair:

Good idea, streapadair, cheers. Certainly one place I had forgotten about that might be an interesting option.
 kenr 29 Jan 2015
Lots of great hikes and spectacular fun scrambles in southeast France around Marseille and Toulon.

A bit of roped climbing too.
OP BruceM 30 Jan 2015
In reply to kenr:

Thanks Ken. I agree. Was down that region this xmas for some fun. True that that would be good also at that time of year.
 Iain Thow 30 Jan 2015
In reply to BruceM:

How about the Pyrenees? Lots of great scrambles around Benasque, for instance, plus plenty of mountain cragging.
OP BruceM 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Iain Thow:

Thanks Iain. Yes, the Pyrenees is a good looking option. Particularly since we have never been there. Keen to know of good places to base yourself around there, so your suggestion of Benasque sounds very fun. Will add to list to research. Cheers very much!
 Iain Thow 02 Feb 2015
In reply to BruceM:
Hotel El Pilar in Benasque is good and not expensive, plus 2 campsites a couple of km up valley, and a free camping area above them. Make sure you boil the water in the latter. Early morning buses up Valhibierna and the main valley are useful. Free dossing hut at the former road end. Camping on the hill is allowed from 8pm to 8am but not for more than 1 night. Estos Hut below the Posets is nice, Renclusa below Aneto is awful. Aneto is doable in a day using the Valhibierna bus, as are Pico Margalida and the traverse of Pico Vallibierna, both nice scrambles. The Cresta Bardamina-Paul below Posets is the best scramble I've ever done, about Mod, sustained and wildly exposed, on ace granite. Have a great time (if that's where you go).
OP BruceM 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Iain Thow:

Brilliant info! Thanks very much for passing all of that on Iain. I like the bus and camping options. And some stuff in previous posts of the region (that you've contributed to). Will def be heading there, if not this Sept, earlier or similar the next year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...