UKC

CIC Hut webcam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 29 Jan 2015
There isn't one but I think it would be great. Preferably through Winterhighland as they know a lot about mountain webcams. Power source might be an issue.
 barbeg 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

...I understand (a wee birdie told me) that wifi may be installed in due course...so a webcam may follow...

ANdy
OP Cuthbert 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

Good. I also heard that moves had been made a few years ago on this and the SMC was not supportive. I may be wrong.
 galpinos 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Another webcam to depress me whilst sat at my desk.
OP Cuthbert 29 Jan 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Yes I know. I am talking about a camera at the CIC hut. That one is near Torlundy on the website owner's house.
 John Kelly 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

I'm a terrible luddite but i find it a bit depressing, very useful of course
3WiseMonkeysClimbingFortWilliam 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

We're on it, but definitely some challenges to come... We were making good headway with the wifi providing folk, but then the storms came and it's fallen down their job list somewhat... Hopefully we'll have a version 1 up and running next winter, all being well.
OP Cuthbert 30 Jan 2015
In reply to 3WiseMonkeysClimbingFortWilliam:

Thanks. Who is "we"?
3WiseMonkeysClimbingFortWilliam 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to say due to the whole advertising on threads thing so if the thread gets thrown out I apologise - we're opening a new climbing centre in Fort William.

The webcam idea has been bandied about for a while but we got in touch with Robin at the SMC late last year to get an OK to look into it, they'd already looked at sorting out wifi and a camera themselves too.

Cheers,
Oliver.
 Mountain Llama 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Having stayed in the hut several times, I have enjoyed the experience of not having mob phones, I pads etc. So the idea of Web cams and broad band at the cic hut for sponsorship etc is way off the mark for me. If the smc is having a funding crisis then surely there is an alternative to this?

Davey
 Blackmud 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Agreed. People don't mind going outside to get water, but want wifi and a webcam. A peculiarly modern tragedy.
3WiseMonkeysClimbingFortWilliam 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

For what it's worth, I agree about the experience at the hut- we're only interested in an internet connection for a weather station to send data back down - same with the webcam, which is certainly the angle we looked at it from in the first place. I'm not sure if the SMC are keen on the wifi in the hut or not, but that's for their committee etc. to decide, it'd be an impressive feat to get it to work though if they did - certainly no netflix in there...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...