UKC

Trade marks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

> Pop star Taylor Swift has trademarked phrases including "this sick beat" and "we never go out of style", in the United States. The phrases are all lyrics from her current album, 1989, which has sold more than 4 million copies in the US. The trademark ruling prohibits others from using her lyrics on items such as t-shirts, stickers and bags. Other phrases covered by the ruling include "nice to meet you, where you been" and "party like it's 1989".

> Her name, signature and initials have also received trademark protection. Although the application may seem trivial, printing lyrics onto merchandise is an increasingly important revenue stream for musicians in an era of declining record sales. The trademarks can be viewed on the US Patent and Trademark Office

OK, I'd like to trademark all lyrics from my band; "The Roomtown Bats" free cassette single from 1979, "We hate your bedsit Michael." (I only wish I could remember what they were.)

BTW Naming you band with a spoonersim doesn't mean people turn up to see you by mistake.
Post edited at 22:34
 Tom Valentine 30 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

> BTW Naming you band with a spoonersim doesn't mean people turn up to see you by mistake.

Yes, but naming your LP "Electric Landlady" was a masterstroke (or, at least, half of one.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...