UKC

Biography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've developed a real hankering after good biographies of late*, currently reading "One Leg Too Few" (Peter Cook/Dudley Moore.)

Has anyone read a biography which they recommend? People from the fields of climbing, music, comedy, acting, cooking are my staples, but happy to consider anyone, (Ok, not Katy Price or Bristol Palin.)

*yes, I know, it's because I do not have a life of my own, way ahead of you.
Post edited at 00:12
 Skipinder 31 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:
Hermann Buhl's made for great reading.
Post edited at 00:51
In reply to Skipinder:

Thanks mate, will check it out.
 John Burns 31 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

There are some good bios of Bill Hicks out there.
drmarten 31 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

I quite like to read a biography now and then, some which have stuck in my mind are :

Rich (Richard Burton)
Churchill (by Roy Jenkins)
Redemption Song (Joe Strummer)
Something The Grandchildren Should Know (Mark Oliver Everett)
Edith Sitwell (Edith Sitwell(!))

and two autobiographies I enjoyed -
Cash (Johnny Cash)
Executioner Pierrepoint

I've still books in boxes from moving (3 years ago) and am loathe to go rummaging to jog my memory any further.

alan moore 31 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:
One of the best autobiographies I ever read was "who the hell is Tom Baker" . He has quite a story!
The Joe Strummer one, "redemption song" is good, although Jhonny Green's "a riot of my own" is better if your into the Clash.
"If chins could kill" by Bruce Campbell ( the guy out of the evil dead films) is a good read.
Mark Radcliffe wrote a hilarious account of his own musical progression through the 70's and 80's; can't remeber what it was called.
I'm sure all the climbing ones are well documented on here already...
In reply to stroppygob:

Thanks for the suggestions all!

That's me raiding the local Library internet catalogue for a while!!

(Do UK libraries do this, have a catalogue online you can order books off?)
Douglas Griffin 31 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Maggie Fergusson's biography of George Mackay Brown.
Douglas Botting's biography of Gavin Maxwell.
In reply to stroppygob:

A Drink with Shane McGowan
Evil Spirits: The Life of Oliver Reed
Grow Up, by Keith Allen

They're not all well-written and not about great men but I found them enjoyable nonetheless, and I have a very short attention span.
 Postmanpat 31 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Alan Johnson (Labour politician) "This Boy" is a must read.
 jockster 31 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser is the best I have read
 SuperstarDJ 01 Feb 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson is a stunning piece of work. Beautifully written, impeccably researched and it's won every award going. Four volumes and counting...
Removed User 01 Feb 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Leonard Cohen's new one is good - I'm your man.
 Trangia 01 Feb 2015
In reply to jockster:

> Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser is the best I have read

Plus 1

A brilliant book
 goose299 01 Feb 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Ozzy Osbourne's is a good read
 Andy Morley 01 Feb 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Chad Varah: "Before I Die Again"

Autobiography of an Anglican clergyman - the first church service he ever took as a new curate was of a 13-year-old girl. When they buried her in unconsecrated ground and he asked why, they told him she'd topped herself because she had started to have periods, didn't know what they were and concluded she was dying of some unknown disease. The experience led him to found The Samaritans.

Not for the faint-hearted; highlights include his seduction of 'Cutie' - the kitchen maid at his boys' public school together with vivid descriptions of the ****ing contests boys used to have there to see which one could ejaculate as far as the lintol above the changing-room door. Also his adventures with prostitutes, transexuals, the time he invited a disturbed woman to pee on his office carpet (which she accepted) and his founding of the 'Brenda' line, heavy-breathing phone callers for the use of, to sit alongside the Samaritans suicide-prevention service.

A fascinating social history of the central decades of the 20th century. He knew many of the rich and famous and was not averse to dishing the dirt on some of them.
 Yanis Nayu 01 Feb 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

"Robert Kennedy and His Times" by Arthur Schlesinger

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-Kennedy-Times-Arthur-Schlesinger-ebook/dp/B0...
 Mick Ward 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> Leonard Cohen's new one is good - I'm your man.

Agree. So much I didn't know but wondered about - such as why Phil Spector produced 'Death of a Ladies' Man'.

Phil & Lennie - an odd combination...

Mick
In reply to stroppygob:
Hemingway's Boat. Brilliant
In reply to stroppygob:

Thanks again people.
 Happeuss 02 Feb 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

I can get to my library via the council's website and order books in, at least it works in Pembrokeshire, maybe try your council's page?

I'll sling a vote in for Johnny Cash's 'Cash', also 'Scar Tissue' by that one out of the chilli peppers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...