UKC

Duffle Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sean1 31 Jan 2015
Hi,
I'm looking for a large duffle bag 120 litres + that will take a knocking and last. Has anyone had any experiences with Rab Expedition 140l , Patagonia black hole 120l or Jack Wolfskin 130 litre? Any thoughts would be great Thanks
 ben b 31 Jan 2015
In reply to sean1:

I have a huge TNF one purchased in 1998. It's still going although it has a few scrapes on the backside these days. It was expensive (?100 quid) but it has worked out to be about 6 quid a year....

It hasn't had excessive use, just the usual planes / trains / cars / buses rather than camels and ponies, to be fair, but it goes right round the globe on a regular basis and even LA baggage handlers haven't managed to break it yet.

It does have (handy but totally uncomfortable) shoulder straps that can be put on it when needing a longer carry, a useful feature when changing terminals in Heathrow with more large bags than hands.

I also have a Berghaus wheeled thing and it's a dog - poor design (can't stand it up, for instance), mediocre build (zip pulls pull off) and the handle refuses to stow when you want it to, usually at the head of the check in line. Not going to be buying much Berghaus stuff again...

b
 anthonylewis 31 Jan 2015
In reply to sean1:

You could do worse than the mountain equipment bags that are often found with a healthy discount at Cotswold.
 ianstevens 31 Jan 2015
In reply to sean1:

I've owned a Patagonia one for a few (4?) years, utterly bombproof. Feels a bit thin/flimsy, but isn't showing any signs of wearing out yet!
 Fraser 31 Jan 2015
In reply to sean1:

This link might be of use:

http://www.gearbuyer.com/site/buying-guides/the-best-duffel-bags.html

I have a TNF Base Camp 120L bag and it's great - completely bomb-proof but too large really for my requirements. Having said that I got it on sale at Cotswold a couple of years back for only £70 so it was still worth it. ME have some good deals and their bags seem good so worth trying a few if you can.
 knighty 31 Jan 2015
In reply to sean1:

Also check out the offerings from Helly Hansen. I've had mine for a couple of years and am thoroughly impressed. I think I got it for less than £50 from Amazon.
 Aigen 31 Jan 2015
In reply to sean1:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/trekking-bag-100-l-id_8128948.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/120l-expedition-bag-black-id_8128951.html
Post edited at 12:01
 Graham 01 Feb 2015
In reply to sean1:

I also really like the north face duffel bags - but would put a strong vote against the Marmot Long Haul duffel - not particularly durable and about the same price as the north face.
 John Cooke 01 Feb 2015
In reply to sean1:

Have got a TNF base camp duffel 60l, ME 100l and Patagonia Black Hole wheel 120l.
Patagonia works well with the wheels around airports. Materials are similar and bomb proof. All bags good. ME best value.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...