UKC

good all round light weight single rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sj1295 31 Jan 2015
Hey,

Looking into buying my first rope. Have climbed trad for a year up to HVS and done some mountaineering in Scotland and the Pyrenees. I would like a very durable 60m rope with sound dry treatment that is good for cragging, but also light weight enough to take mountaineering and on longer multi pitch routes. Anyone got any suggestions?

Janna
 Hay 31 Jan 2015
In reply to sj1295:
Hi Janna,
I've been extremely impressed by my Millet Absolute trx 9. Dry treatment is really durable and the handle has been good from the off. GriGri 2/Reverso III needed for use as a single though ... quite slick when new.
Bruce
sj1295 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Hay:

Hi Bruce,

Yes that does look good, although maybe a bit too thin for continuous use as a single? Saw the Millet Magma trx 9.5, which only has 1g/m more weight (although can't seem to find any sellers for that atm) Any opinions on the Mammut 9.5 Infinity?
In reply to sj1295:

As it's your first rope, doubtless you have big ambitions and want it to be the best you can afford - and why not? When I was starting out, there was a choice of two - 9mm and 11mm - and both came from Jo Royle.

But don't dismiss something like an Edelrid Python 10mm - a tiny bit over a hundred quid for a 60m length from somewhere like Banana Fingers. I bought one as a knock-about rope for places like Morocco and the Pyrenees, and it's done me well; it also stands up pretty well to Cornish granite.

You'd probably have enough left over to make a good start at saving up for a half-rope
 BnB 01 Feb 2015
In reply to sj1295:

I have the Infinity and it's done two seasons of grit climbing week in week out and shows no signs of age (apart from dirt) while reminding supple and easy handling. Everyone comments on how good it feels. And yes I've fallen on it as has my partner with no obvious ill effects (to rope or human). I would buy the same again in a flash.
sj1295 02 Feb 2015
In reply to BnB:

thanks everyone, think I'll go for the Infinity!
 johncook 02 Feb 2015
In reply to sj1295:

Beal boost 9.8. Mine has withstood Veedawoo Granite and a load of other USA rock as well as UK grit, slate, limestone etc. A bit on the heavy side but no worse than some of the others mentioned. I handles beautifully, stays dry, has never frozen on me, has caught a few wingers and is not yet showing signs of wear and I climb a lot, on mid grade routes where the rope is dragged over edges and arêtes and the top of slabs.
Whatever you choose, enjoy your climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...