UKC

Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bennevis 31 Jan 2015
I am considering a look at Back Tor or Mam Tor tomorrow. Has anyone been out today to see if there is snow on them or if the turf is frozen ?
 Dan Arkle 31 Jan 2015
In reply to bennevis:

I skiied Mam on Friday eve. Lots of snow still, exposed turf was frozen, but turf under snow may not be.
I'd expect Mam to gully to be fun but unconsolidated, and all the other Mam tor routes to be terrifying.

I don't know about Back tor, but I suspect it would be a long way from prime condition. (I think its best, easier and safer with a light sprinkling of snow on a well frozen base).
 peachos 31 Jan 2015
In reply to bennevis:

We were over on Derwent Edge today. Soft snow and unfrozen ground all over.
 Adam Long 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Watched someone solo Mam tor gully this aft, looked a bit of a wade. I didn't see much turf frozen either.

Did you ski the gully Dan? Looked a bit like a set of tracks in there...
 Dan Arkle 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Adam Long:

No, I just did the flank above the old road. I'd love to do the gully but it would take perfect conditions for someone of my limited skill.
 sgl 01 Feb 2015
In reply to bennevis:

We went to have a look at Back Tor Gully today. Turf exposed to the wind is frozen, anything that is covered in snow is not. Whilst I'm sure it would be claimable (looked less snowy higher up), we decided it would be more fun to wait until it was properly frozen.
 Jimbo C 01 Feb 2015
In reply to bennevis:

Did Mam Tor Gully today. Snow was soft, almost swimming in places. Turf frozen only at the very top. It would benefit from a good freeze (if it doesn't all melt first). Lots of snow boarders around having fun.
 Offwidth 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

Crowden Beck icefall was a corniced snowdrift. Great fun if a bit fragile and very unexpected.
 Jake463 02 Feb 2015
In reply to bennevis:

I did Lawrence Edge 2 (from Scrambles in the Dark Peak) yesterday. Was hoping that being north facing it would be ok but would have been better with snowshoes than ice axe etc. Even on the summit of Bleaklow at 600m the snow was soft powder and laborious going. Maybe later in the week.
 andy wa 04 Feb 2015
Anyone know what back tor conditions are like? Thinking of having a look tomorrow evening.
 ebdon 05 Feb 2015
In reply to andy wa:

Mam tor is very slushy right now there's still lots of snow in the gully but nothings really frozen. About 4 teams on it this evening!
 Timmd 05 Feb 2015
In reply to bennevis:

I'm guessing the cold-enough window might have passed, untill the next one comes along at least.
 pec 06 Feb 2015
In reply to bennevis:

Anybody know if any of the higher cloughs on Bleaklow are climbable at the moment? I realise its got a bit milder the last couple of days but wondering if anything might have persisted in the deep North facing cloughs.
Metoffice is saying "Frost persisting at highest elevations where it will remain icy at times underfoot" and
"Freezing level: At all levels at first, rising to 600m by mid-afternoon." for Saturday so was thinking a very early start might be rewarded?
Thanks.
 HimTiggins 06 Feb 2015
In reply to pec:

Wildboar Clough was in good condition yesterday evening, but it has been mild(ish) today. Might be worth a look if you're quick ...
 pec 07 Feb 2015
In reply to pec:

Just as an update, I went out very early this morning and found both the ice routes at Shining Clough, Big Gully Wall and Shining Clough Icefall, to be in very climbable condition. The former especially had really thick fat ice made slightly chewy by the thaw which was a delight to climb on. I then stumbled along the top and did the route on Deer Knowl which had bomber frozen turf throughout and finally chased a hare in its winter coat up Lawrence Edge no.1 which was pleasant enough but only needed 1 axe and no crampons.

Shining Clough itself didn't look to be "in" when I looked down into it. It was probably good on Thursday but there was too much flowing water to feasibly do it today.

There's no sign of a rapid thaw going on so what's there will last all day and the Met Office is forecasting a frost at all levels for tomorrow morning so if anyone's keen I'm sure an early start tomorrow will be rewarded. Could be the last chance to get any Peak Ice done until the next freeze, whenever that may be.
 cragtyke 07 Feb 2015
In reply to pec:

We must have followed you up Shining Clough, the main fall in the clough did look a bit dubious so we opted to toprope it, it turned out to be fairly solid after the first few feet and no harder than Wildboar the other night, would be scarier though. Big Gully Wall was bizarre and great fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...