UKC

Ailefroide (or other) for easy multi-pitch in early April?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 s1362083 01 Feb 2015
Can anyone comment on if the weather will be OK for a 10 day trip to Ailefroide in early April? We're looking for easy multi-pitch (sport 5a to 6b or trad to HS). I'm currently slightly put off by 10 days of precipitation on average for May but I don't know how reliable that is.

Alternatively, happy to go elsewhere if the climbing/weather is better there for that time of year.
 KA 01 Feb 2015
In reply to s1362083:

I was in the area in late April a couple of years ago, with intentions to climb some alpine routes in the Ecrins, but with the quantity of snow, settled for ski touring instead. Ailefroide was deserted, and the road up from Le Clauz was closed.

Spain would be better...
 Dave Williams 01 Feb 2015
In reply to s1362083:

Too high and too early in the season IMO as well.

I've been climbing in the Perpignan area, Tarn gorge and the Costa Durada in April and found it nice and sunny but a bit on the chilly side at times. Either think of these sorts of places or head even further south.
 tehmarks 01 Feb 2015
In reply to s1362083:

I'd say absolutely not in April. Better heading to Spain or somewhere like Les Calanques. There's plenty easy multipitch to go at around there - it's on my list of potential places for April-May too.
OP s1362083 01 Feb 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

Fair enough. Sounds like a terrible idea, glad I asked!

Will look into the other recommendations, thanks!
 Doug 01 Feb 2015
In reply to s1362083:

I suspect the nearby but lower & south facing limestone crags might be OK, a bit further south but I've climbed on the Montagne St Victoire at that time of year & it was very pleasant,
 john arran 01 Feb 2015
In reply to s1362083:

Ariège is worth considering, as a lot of the climbing is at a low altitude of 5-800m. That time of year would usually be perfect for South-facing multi-pitch limestone, of which there is plenty very close to here. particularly in the higher end of your grade range.
Of course there's always a chance that you could be hit by a late winter storm, in which case it could be pretty wet and cold for a few days before the warm sun appeared again, but for a 10-day trip I'd guess an average of maybe 1 rainy day and a couple or so more with a shower or two would be about normal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...