UKC

kinder, ski touring conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Got a job rob 01 Feb 2015
Anyone been on the plateau? What's the snow like up there? Is it worth carrying touring gear up?
Removed User 01 Feb 2015
I walked from Hayfield to Kinder Downfall yesterday, snow was waist deep in places. Had to take it in turns making tracks with some fellow walkers we bumped into. Was knackered by the end.
 Dan Arkle 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed UserCantankerous:

How was the downfall looking ?
Removed User 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Was fairly well formed but still had a trickle of water running through the middle.

Here's a picture I took on my phone.

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2gy7d4y.jpg[/IMG]

damwinter 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Got a job rob:

Hi I skiied up and around Dovestones Edge (top of the Dark Peak) on Saturday. climbing and traversing conditions were as good as I've seen up there, but the top of the descent down Ashway gap was a bit crusty. I would imagine Kinder would still be be worth while
 sgl 02 Feb 2015

Lovely ski up Bleaklow (as far as higher shelf stones) from Glossop this morning. Full cover all the way. Skis on and off at the farm at the start of Doctors Gate. Nice track to follow all the way to the top. More direct descent made to Shelf brook then easily down doctors gate on snow. Snow was surprisingly good, not deep but on soft grass base, a little crusty but generally soft and easy to turn in. Can't see it changing significantly in the near future but will get harder as it refreezes.
 Mr Wild 02 Feb 2015

Short video from my trip on Thursday. Managed to ski from my front door in New Mills, down the Sett Valley Trail, stayed around the lower Broad Clough area due the weather. Then all the way home!

youtube.com/watch?v=tcvYjW7cNTo&

Disclaimer - Not the best example of skiing around......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...