UKC

New to hill walking any advise please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michelle1981 01 Feb 2015

I am new to hill walking any advise please
Post edited at 19:11
In reply to Michelle1981:

Enjoy!

There are a bunch of clubs out there, so you should be able to meet plenty of people who can give you on-the-spot help and advice. You'll find the clubs generally friendly and really keen to get you on board.

Once you've done the walking bit, start thinking about the climbing...
OP Michelle1981 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:
Thank you for your message Martin. I have joined a club my first walk is on 22 March it is at Malham/Pen-y-Ghent. Just hope I have the right clothing brought some Craghoppers trousers today and a base layer top too. I like walking but not done hill walking before and fancied doing something new and meeting new people. I looking forward to seeing new places.
Post edited at 19:59
Removed User 01 Feb 2015

Don't know where you live but one thing you can do to prepare is walk your local area in shit weather in your hill gear-nothing like hill walking but should give you some confidence that your gear (boots, jacket etc.) will be up to the job of keeping you warm and dry. Ish.
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:
Hi Ena thank you very much for your message and for the advise. I live in Birmingham not far from Sutton Park and Barr Beacon. That is a good idea to walk in all weather to see if my clothing will be warm a enough before I go up on the hills. Thank you
Post edited at 20:29

Michelle

Having joined a club, the rest should be as easy as putting one foot in front of another....

Don't worry too much about gear and certainly don't start to think that hillwalking - at the beginning, at least - is anything other than walking, something you've been doing most of your life. It's easy to look at it as a completely new thing, separate to your experiences and immensely daunting. There's the kit to worry about, and then all the emergency stuff, the technical doohickeys (I'm still not sure where magnetic north is in relation to my map), stresses about fitness and stoicism, horror stories about the wrong shoes, jacket, bivy bag. It's just walking, but in nicer places with fewer bus stop shelters.

It's all good. Make sure you've got decent waterproofs (a sub-100 quid jacket is perfectly fine - I don't think I've ever even spent fifty, to be fair) and for Malham, just wear something on your feet which is comfortable. They may leak like a sieve, but for your first 'hill' walk, the last thing you want to experience is pain because somebody panicked you into buying some rigid foot-clamping monstrosities, usually on the basis that if it's good enough for K2.......

Ena's point is sound: wait for some bad weather and then go for a walk, preferably with a rucksack on, so that you can understand how little difference breathable fabrics make when your back is covered over.

And definitely put a full flask in there, upside down. If it doesn't leak, hang on to it.

Learn as you go, understand that free advice is often worth even less and only buy ridiculously expensive kit because you want to, not because somebody convinced you that you needed it.

I'm not sure you need any advice, really. Just go and try it out.
 Mark Kemball 01 Feb 2015

Sort out your footwear, go to a decent shop (I don't know where to recommend in Brum) and take plenty of time over fitting them - a good shop will be able to give you the time and advice. I'd recommend leather boots - I've never had dry feet with light weight boots or trainers, and that makes such a difference to your comfort. Once you've got them sorted out, break them in by going on short walks - well worth the effort blisters can really spoil your day. If you start to feel any rubbing, stop and sort out the problem immediately, often it is something silly like a rucked sock.

Look after your feet!

I've sent you an email.

regards
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Thank you very much for your messages Martin and all your advise. I got some new walking boots as my old ones have done well, done plenty of miles,. but have seen better days. Got some Peter storm walking boots and they said they are suitable for hill walking at blacks where I brought them from. When I get out there I be able to see how I get on. Yes I love walking, I am looking to new places. Thank you
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Thank you very much for sending me an email.
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thank you Mark for your message. I brought some walking boots from blacks the shop assistant there said they are suitable for hillwalking. You are right important to have good foot wear. I hope they will be okay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...