UKC

Tafraoute area sand stone bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
silo 02 Feb 2015
Hi I'm planning a trip down to morocco in October or November. We are Driving down by Land Rover from Gibraltar to the Jabel Kest. As well as climbing we will be chucking a few pads in. I know there is bouldering in Tafraoute but I'm more interested in finding some sandstone Boulders. When I was there last there I saw lots of potential. Has anyone info on areas that we should be checking out. Thanks
 jcw 02 Feb 2015
In reply to silo:
Are you sure they were sandstone? Lots of granite boulders
silo 02 Feb 2015
In reply to jcw:
I'm not interest in bouldering in Tafroute but I am interested in the large boulders that fall from the quartzite cliffs. I was looking for venues where we can climb and also boulder. There must be some excellent bouldering given the size of some of the boulders we saw whilst on our last trip.
 Fiend 03 Feb 2015
In reply to silo:

The sandstone specification was a bit confusing, I know quartzite is geologically related but it is pretty different to any normal sandstone out there. Definitely worth checking out compared to the Tafraoute granite which although is near limitless and highly aesthetic, is also a recipe for scrittle and skin loss.

Obviously there's a lot of rock in the area including boulders beneath the cliffs, but don't expect to find any Caley / Porth Ysgo / Torridon -style mega boulderfields, and I have no idea what is documented. Instead if you hunt around the base of the large blocks / clusters, you could find a lot of good stuff - and it would be well worth developing. The main road through past Ksar etc has enough to try initially. There's a good cluster around the hairpin gully bend before Ksar itself, a promising block at the far end before it heads down past Dwawj, and some stuff as it rises up at the East end near the Deep Wells crag:

vimeo.com/57017785

silo 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Fiend:

Thanks, That's what I'm after.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...