UKC

Fire at Appy - Ariege

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Say 02 Feb 2015
Appy

Just back from a tour round Ariege and Minervois . At Appy (28/1/15) it looks like a bit of controlled burning of shrubbery got a bit 'uncontrolled' as the hillside above the approach track has been burnt out fairly recently. Looks like the fire spread up to the crag and then up the R hand side of the rock before continuing for a few hundred meters further up the hill. The actual approach path that traverses across from the track has been a bit singed but is intact and the flames lapped around the flat gearing-up area at the base as well as across the top of the crag. All but the last route on the R are untouched and that may well be OK - but its a bit smelly and black below Arete Est. No real problems for anyone but until there's been a bit more rain you might want to not wear white clothing.....

I may have an overly vivid imagination but there was an apparent 'bale-out' quickdraw on Arete Est that spoke of a pretty rapid evacuation (both clips and extender left behind, bent gate krab clipped to bolt). I can imagine few more trouser filling moments than being on a route and realising that the hill was on fire!
 john arran 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

Thanks for the info Andy.

Does anyone know if a fire on the ground is likely to cause any problems with resin bolts on routes above the fire? I doubt the flames would have got very high, since it's mostly only low shrubbery around there, but could still have produced a fair amount of heat I would have thought.
OP Andy Say 02 Feb 2015
In reply to john arran:

Hi John - I think this was a really 'quick burning' fire. It has swept over the approach path without really even singing the green grass. There were signs of burning up the little gully L of Dalle du Cerisier and also up to the R of that route so if it was going to get hot that would be where it would be worst. All the other routes seemed OK though I was surprised to see burning at the top of the crag. I don't think anything really serious was generated in terms of heat. My 'crag swag' off Arete Est was untouched. I'll upload some pics when I have the time but most of the burn seems to have swept up right and missed the crag, a Westerly wind I'd have guessed - would be an epic retreating with the approach path in flames though!
OP Andy Say 02 Feb 2015
 john arran 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

I see what you mean - didn't really even burn the grass fully so presumably wasn't a raging blaze. Quite lucky it wasn't drier so the flames didn't really make it to the crag.
 jon 02 Feb 2015
In reply to john arran:

I thought you'd had a huge dump of snow down there?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Feb 2015
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Feb 2015
 john arran 02 Feb 2015
In reply to jon:

> I thought you'd had a huge dump of snow down there?

We have. Seems Andy was there the day before it started dumping. Hasn't finished yet and the forecast is for it to continue for a few more days, albeit less heavily than at the weekend. The ski resorts are laughing now - just as well as they've been pretty lean this winter until now.

On the bright side the crag I'm developing just around the corner from the house looks to be bone dry, so hopefully no seepage even after several wet days
OP Andy Say 02 Feb 2015
In reply to john arran:

I was camping near Appy the night of the first dump after going up there climbing. Woke up wondering why it was so dark and why my tent was so small.....

Then dug the hire car out.
 john arran 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

Brave man camping at this time of year. I always thought it was only justifiable for the white stuff, and even then it was marginal. Maybe I'm softer than you. Actually when it comes to cold I'm softer than most people!
OP Andy Say 02 Feb 2015
In reply to john arran:

When I woke up I felt more dumb than brave - but got the car out!

But I have come to the conclusion that Ariege as a January sun-rock destination might be a tad optimistic. Though I did have a couple of stunning days at Gorge de la Cesse and Sinsat amongst the less than welcome conditions. I now know what the mistral is all about, I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...