UKC

Good place to practise winter skills in snowdonia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Percy2012 02 Feb 2015
Hi,

Can anyone suggest any good places to practise winter skills (ice axe arrest, walking in crampons) in snowdonia - preferably near llanberis?

Many thanks,
Tom

Roadrunner2 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Percy2012:

If the snow is low down, on the moel eilio ridge, the ascents of foel goch and foel gron are steep and grassy. never needed crampons on there, walking in crampons is pretty straight forwards, you soon pick it up, just watch for balling up and step higher.
 AntC 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Percy2012:

Llanberis side of Y Garn and Elidir Fawr have some long easier angles slopes. Go up from Nant Peris.
 bobpilgrem 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Percy2012:
When I was new to winter climbing did an ascent of Gribbin Ridge (starting at Ogwen Cottage)
, across Glyders and down thru the Devils Kitchen.slopes on descent from Glyders to kitchen offer
some good slopes to practice ice axe arrests.We had a great day out and learnt a lot in just a day.
hope this helps.
Percy2012 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Percy2012:

Thanks very much guys! Will get the map out tonight and take a look at your suggestions.
 Roadrunner2 03 Feb 2015
In reply to bobpilgrem:

> When I was new to winter climbing did an ascent of Gribbin Ridge (starting at Ogwen Cottage)

> , across Glyders and down thru the Devils Kitchen.slopes on descent from Glyders to kitchen offer

> some good slopes to practice ice axe arrests.We had a great day out and learnt a lot in just a day.

> hope this helps.

Sounds like he's new to winter walking, not climbing, Gribbin would be quite serious terrain straight off, I know its mainly all pretty easy but a fall can be nasty and its still serious terrain.
 bobpilgrem 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Roadrunner2:
As this is a climbing web site if assumed poster was keen to practice his
Skills with a view to getting into winter climbing.
Main winter line up Gribbin Ridge very easy- but with option of taking some more challenging
Short sections if you feel confident.

Roadrunner2 04 Feb 2015
In reply to bobpilgrem:

"practise winter skills (ice axe arrest, walking in crampons)"

I think he put it in the wrong forum.. it went in 'starting out' which is a UKC and not UKH forum.. when it probably should have gone in Hilltalk..

It is easy but if you slip it's dangerous terrain and one side is dangerous, the other if you can't arrest and it's hard neve is also serious enough.. it's very easy grade 1, I'd do it with my dog in OK conditions, but it's not somewhere to practice arrests or to walk in crampons for me..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...