UKC

UNSAFE BOLT: Benny Beg Bolts Suffering Winter Blues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 03 Feb 2015
Kevin Mcofs:
Benny Beg Bolts Suffering Winter Blues
Take care if you are going to Benny Beg as the bolt lower-off at the top of Lady Willoughby (4) is now sitting within a crack. check it before using it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1547454978842490&set=a.14875543...

Not sure if that's any relevant for the UKC, but probably it's worth spreading the news as Benny Beg tends to be the first outdoor crag for some people.
 jon 03 Feb 2015
In reply to PPP:

> ... as the bolt lower-off at the top of Lady Willoughby (4) is now sitting within a crack.

That doesn't look like a new crack - looks like it's always been like that and that the bolt was badly positioned?
OP PPP 03 Feb 2015
In reply to jon:

Given how well Benny Beg is bolted, I can't believe it's true. I couldn't remember climbing Lady Willoughby (4a) myself, but it's logged in my logbook - I probably helped a family to set up a top rope. I can't remember a crack next to the bolt either as it looks quite obvious. Need someone local to confirm that, but MCofS says it's a new crack.
Andy Gamisou 04 Feb 2015
In reply to PPP:

> Kevin Mcofs:

> Benny Beg Bolts Suffering Winter Blues

I know how Benny Beg Bolts feels.
 Mr Trebus 04 Feb 2015
In reply to PPP:

We did everything pretty much everything up to 6a at Benny Beg one day during the summer and I don't recall spotting this.

I think there was a route with the bottom two bolt hangers removed that may be linked.

I am sure a local will be along to confirm.

Al
Andy Gamisou 04 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

> I think there was a route with the bottom two bolt hangers removed that may be linked.

Not local (well, not for the last 8 years anyway) but I'm pretty sure the missing hangers have been missing for a few years.
 Nick_Scots 10 Feb 2015
In reply to PPP:

Quite a few bolts were placed close to edges. However, Kev H lives in Crieff (I think) and knows the crag well. I use it quite a bit, so will be aware next time I'm there. It's a we sun trap in Feb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...