UKC

Mam Tor Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nick_Merriman 04 Feb 2015

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any information as to the conditions of the gullies in the Mam Tor area?
Was hoping to go and do Kinder Downfall, but I've heard that it's been hacked to death, and still a bit slushy, so we're looking at a different area.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Nick
Post edited at 13:44
 Offwidth 04 Feb 2015
In reply to Nick_Merriman:

Mam Tor is very rarely in good nick. You need snow and/or very hard frosts. It can be climbed as a loose adventure at any time. It was climbed at the weekend as a snow swim to some frozen turf at the top.
 planetmarshall 04 Feb 2015

> Was hoping to go and do Kinder Downfall, but I've heard that it's been hacked to death, and still a bit slushy, so we're looking at a different area.

Or that's just what they want you to think...
 JR 04 Feb 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Back Tor will definitely be frozen if you're there at dawn.

Here's some more pics of Mam Tor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2939224/Deep-freeze-Britain-Fresh-b...
 galpinos 04 Feb 2015
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

Do your business cards say "extreme sportsman"?
 JR 04 Feb 2015
In reply to galpinos:

they do now! It must be true, it's in the mail
 galpinos 04 Feb 2015

The mail never lies......

I've always fancied Mam Tor Gully but never seen it fill in like that, very jealous. Was the drop in/top ticky? Did you ski anything in Winnats?

Gutted it'll be gone by the wekend.
 admackie 04 Feb 2015
just went up loads of snow or none at all depending where you are small cornice on the top and full depth avalanche off to the left
loads of untracked powder all over the place would be good for skiing. 2 people ski'd down when i was there sounded scratchy
Post edited at 14:38
 JR 04 Feb 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Yeah, been on the target list for years. Such a cool tick.

Drop in was ok, came in slightly skier's right of the middle, about 5m from where the grade II/III exits. Main issue was not being able to see the steps of shale underneath. Skied into one the first time and only just stayed up.

Didn't ski in Winnats, need to be careful in there as SSSI so needs good snow cover.
OP Nick_Merriman 04 Feb 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Ha! I did think this too! Keep it in good condition for their mates!
HighlandStu 04 Feb 2015

John, any idea how the snow in Mam Tor Gully is today? Looking at driving over later for a bit of a ski if snow cover still good
 JR 04 Feb 2015
In reply to HighlandStu:
It faces south-ish, so imagine it's melting. I know it got skied yesterday evening, but without wind blowing snow back in, it won't be keeping topped up. Only way to find out is to go, there'll be something to do off the ridge for sure. Our pics were from first thing yesterday morning.
Post edited at 14:54
HighlandStu 04 Feb 2015

Thanks John appreciate it, will have a drive over now
 admackie 04 Feb 2015
In reply to HighlandStu:

was ski'd by two guys at about 2 cant imagine it will have changed much. skiing looks much better on each side of the main face tho loads of untracked powder, assuming it doeasn't all slide off that is.
MattDTC 04 Feb 2015

From the pics, looks like one of you was on telemark setup?
 JR 04 Feb 2015
In reply to MattDTC:

yeah, not me though.
 ebdon 05 Feb 2015

Condition update: slushy!
OP Nick_Merriman 05 Feb 2015
In reply to ebdon:
Thanks for the update ebdon
Post edited at 10:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...