UKC

Chrome and Parkhouse Hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Bennett 04 Feb 2015
I find it difficult to recognise Chrome Hill ridge as a true winter climb ( see records of winter climbs) , surely it is simply a ridge walk?. Parkhouse is a different matter as the descent down the steep East ridge is tricky and there was a fatality here a few years back
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Wouldn't that Chrome Hill ridge – the pinnacled section - become a bit like the pinnacled bit of the Aonach Eagach, for a very short distance, in a very hard winter ??

Agree re. Parkhouse Hill. There's a short, but very nasty steep grassy section in summer which would have to be very well frozen up to be safe in winter.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I've been over both in summer and winter. I can't remember which is which but the one closer to earl sterndale is harder with the further one being not really much more than a walk. The pinnacle at the start of the closer hill is quite tricky and insecure - probably harder than I - more like II but only short.

Do you recognise any grade I ridges as winter climbs? as many aren't far off just a walk under snow. Striding, Swirral and Sharp edges in the lakes can be done without using a tool (but obviously carried in case you need to arrest a fall). They are classed as 'classic' grade I's.
 John Gresty 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Been over Chrome Hill in winter several times, the traverse is just a walk. Also I have looked at the gullies on the west side in winter but never found them in decent nick, just full of soft snow. I still wonder if something could be cobbled together on the west side if the snow was solid.
Agreed with everything said about Parkhouse, the descent in soft snow is nasty.
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> Do you recognise any grade I ridges as winter climbs?

No, as you say, they're really fine aesthetic ridge walks. I haven't been over Chrome Hill for about 10 years, so can't remember much about it, except a rocky pinnacly bit, that's probably exaggerated in my memory.

> Striding, Swirral and Sharp edges in the lakes can be done without using a tool (but obviously carried in case you need to arrest a fall). They are classed as 'classic' grade I's.

I'd describe Sharp Edge as grade I, and Striding as grade 'a half' and Swirral edge just a literal walk. In summer, to make Striding Edge a grade 1 scramble you have to keep very strictly to the crest. Ditto with the lovely Hall's Fell Ridge (on which there is some lovely scrambling that most people just walk past on a path on the right).
OP Bob Bennett 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Dont think so, there is a bit of a traverse at one stage but I still dont think it warrants any more than a winter walk
 Iain Thow 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Hi Bob, long time no see.
As for Chrome/Parkhouse, I uploaded them to UKC, mainly because they're in the Cicerone Scrambles in the Dark Peak guide (even though they're not in the Dark Peak!) and given Grade I for winter in that. I agree Chrome is just a walk by the easiest line, winter or summer, but if you are coming from the NW and tackle the steps directly there are a few moves that feel like climbing. I used an axe and pulled up on it two or three times when I did it the other week. The pinnacle on the NW end of Parkhouse is harder, maybe getting close to Grade II, but if you miss that out then the same applies as for Chrome. I also did a bit of very artificial messing about on the NE sides of both of them on the same wander, not worth recording but fun at the time. Whatever way you do them and however you want to define them they're a fun trip (pity they're made of that funny white stuff and not God's Own Rock).

Iain
OP Bob Bennett 06 Feb 2015
In reply to Iain Thow:

Hi Ian hope you are well, yes Ive long gone the Peak and now living close to the Lakes again, its great to be back.
Sorry to quibble over Chrome Hill, I lived in Longnor for three years so it was on my doorstep. Certainly had mini epics on Parkhouse in the snow and fully agree with the Grade 1 tag. I would also go so far to class it as a grade 1 scramble in summer as the East ridge descent can be near lethal with the polished and usually muddy limestone!
 Iain Thow 06 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Cheers, Bob,
Hope you're getting plenty of time on the hill in the Lakes. Looked great on the way past the other day (I'm in Scotland this week).
Iain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...