UKC

VIDEO: snowboarder and skier down Mam Tor Gully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 04 Feb 2015
OK Drone footage of a snowboarder and skier going down Mam Tor gully.

You may want to fast forward it a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARPk1-nBux8#t=368
 aln 04 Feb 2015
In reply to Michael Ryan:

Wow. How to take an exciting experience and make a boring film of it.
In reply to aln:

I've seen better snowboarders on the baby slopes. Pushing his personal limits by the looks of things...
 peachos 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Fultonius:

haha! That was me and my buddy. Couple of full seasons under my belt - I can assure you I'm much better than you.

In response to your delightful comments, this was our first run down & it was very choppy from the number of ascents and also quite heavy snow - putting a turn in often meant hitting turf. Also there was a sizable slide just off the ridge to the right, so was taking it easy as we weren't massively confident in the stability (though I did assess the pack before dropping in). And as we'd not looked at it from the bottom didn't know what it was like after the gully narrowed - though I'm sure you would have smashed it and dropped the band of rocks first time.

Not the best conditions. But I had fun. Hope that's ok with you.
 Got a job rob 05 Feb 2015
In reply to peachos:
No peachos! That's not all bloody right with me. I was at work and not able to play. So gutted that I have not made it out in the snow! Good going!
In reply to peachos: Couple of full seasons under my belt - I can assure you I'm much better than you.

Oh aye - want to sort that out on the slopes? See you at the top of Les Courtes, mid April?
Clauso 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Fultonius:

> Oh aye - want to sort that out on the slopes? See you at the top of Les Courtes, mid April?

I'm better than the pair of you combined, and I've never skied or snowboarded before in my life... How can you be so confident, you may ask; I just can be, because I am.
In reply to Clauso:

No you're not. FACT. :P
OP Michael Ryan 05 Feb 2015

Ski-ing Mam Tor at sunrise: February 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsifdL_GB4#t=32
 peachos 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Fultonius: Oh aye - want to sort that out on the slopes? See you at the top of Les Courtes, mid April?

Yeah, no worries. Pay for my flight and we'll sort this out once and for all. If you don't stump up the cash you're obviously worried...

peachos 05 Feb 2015

Nice!

Though I'm sure Fultonius is much better than you as well. We may as well all not bother.
In reply to peachos: Ha, what have I started! I'm not actually all that good on a board (certainly not on the steeps).

I don't know, I guess I just wouldn't post a video unless I was sending it like Xavier! (In fairness, it was Mick that posted it, not you)

I'm sure you had fun.
 peachos 06 Feb 2015
In reply to Fultonius:

Haha no worries, this thread has been fun too! We didn't actually know the guy who was filming us and only realised he was doing so at the band of rocks. I probably wouldn't have posted it if it had been arranged, or at least I would've gone for a second take!
 CathS 06 Feb 2015

Top marks peachos & co for balls if not style

All we need now is to get the guy with the drone and Fultonius out to Mam Tor to ski the gully. That should sort out the competition!

Ste Brom 06 Feb 2015
In reply to Clauso:

I know your ski pole action is par excellence, nay, legendary, in some circles.
 TobyA 06 Feb 2015
In reply to peachos:

Did you see the video of the chaps from Outside skiing/boarding down the side of Mam Tor? Doing the gully like you chaps did is the obvious technical challenge, but with the rocks sticking through etc, the grassy side slopes that are in this other vid (I think I saw via the shops FB feed?) looked to give better, if easier, skiing. I live pretty close nowadays, but unfortunately haven't had chance due to work to go out and try. I have some bizarre American plastic skis (possibly the only pair in the UK!?) http://marquette-backcountry.com/ designed for low snow conditions. I bought them whilst living in Finland but could never get them to work so well there - or not beyond being glorified snow shoes, but I've skied them three times in Mearsbrook park in Sheffield and they've been bloody great! That side of Mam Tor looks just their type of terrain. Hopefully, there will be another chance this winter.
 galpinos 06 Feb 2015
In reply to CathS:

You'd have to get Fultonius to fly back from Cham to ski Mam Tor. Tough ask.......
In reply to galpinos:

Had I known that the guys didn't know they were being filmed (or at least it wasn't set up), I doubt I would have said anything. I wouldn't normally poke fun at people's technique (as mine is far from perfect) unless they are making a point of showing the world how gnarly they are, which I thought was the case in this instance.

I'm sure that rock band would be a lot more enticing with a couple of feet of fresh on the landing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...