UKC

Conditions on the ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richjm 05 Feb 2015
Hi folks,

Just wondered how conditions are on the Ben after the warm day today? Is it possible to access the higher buttresses or is it still swimming in snow higher up? Assuming some of the ice- vanishing, .5 etc has been ok to climb today?

Thanks folks
 Frazer 05 Feb 2015
In reply to rich.manterfield:

was up there today. did observatory buttress. conditions were pretty good. snow at little sugary/rotten down low but the higher you go the better it gets! not familiar enough with the hill to tell you what routes looked best. plenty of folk out on various bits though. descended no.4 gully. snow pack reasonably consolidated. post holey half a foot kinda thing.

hope this helps
 Dave Rudkin 07 Feb 2015

Exceptional conditions. Very busy up there today. Some climbs that I noticed been climbed today were:

Nordwand
The Moat
Harrison's Climb Direct
Waterfall Gully
Gemini
The Bewilderbeast
Shield Direct
Route II
The Curtain
Mega Route X
Green Gully
Glovers Chimney
Vanishing Gully
Tower Ridge
Hadrians Direct
Point 5
Zero
NE Buttress

Plus loads more I'm sure!
 KA 07 Feb 2015

We climbed the brilliant Nordwand today, which is both under-graded and underrated!

http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2015/02/07/iv3-no-chance-nordwand-ben-...
 Rick Graham 07 Feb 2015
In reply to KA:

The direct is better
 KA 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:
Having now read the SMC Guidebook, that's actually what we climbed.
Post edited at 18:00
 Rick Graham 07 Feb 2015
In reply to KA:

Direct start to Nordwand or Nordwand Direct? Completely independent routes.
 hwackerhage 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Dave Rudkin:
We did Hadrians today with two other teams. Excellent conditions and very sociable apart from the odd ice bomb!
 AlH 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Dave Rudkin:

Add Smiths and Comb Gully too Dave. We were on Tower Ridge lots of happy climbers yesterday! Some pics of the Ben in general: http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/what-weekend-ben-nevis-delivers....
 Alan.T 08 Feb 2015
In reply to AlH:

Italian right hand can also be added. Very good.
 hwackerhage 08 Feb 2015
Here some photos of Hadrian's and Point Five.
http://graniteandice.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/hadrians-wall-direct-v5.html
 KA 08 Feb 2015

I climbed Boomer's Requiem, which was in great condition, and The Curtain today, which whilst in good condition, clearly has been affected a bit by the current thaw.
http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2015/02/08/6-star-day-boomers-requiem-...
 mike barnard 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Direct start to Nordwand or Nordwand Direct? Completely independent routes.

There's so many different ways it gets a bit confusing! Which way is Nordwand Direct Start?
 Rick Graham 08 Feb 2015
In reply to mike barnard:

I will try to explain tomorrow.

Need to look at the definitive SMC Ben guide.

Both copies normally in the house have been home for the weekend.
 mike barnard 08 Feb 2015
In reply to KA:

Hi Ken, if you were the first team on the face, then I'm pretty sure you did Nordwand itself (multiple wee icefalls going left). You were the only team to get the line right!
 KA 08 Feb 2015
It's all a bit confusing, even in the SMC Ben Nevis Guide. The climbing was definitely at least IV,5 throughout. We did notice a couple of teams veering towards the upper snowfields of The Moat on our descent. Were you one of those teams?
Post edited at 21:57
 mike barnard 08 Feb 2015
In reply to KA:

I was, though we had more or less intended to do the Direct (but then got side tracked). Did you see where the direct route finishes up? The guide mentions an icy ramp which I presume is a different feature to the wee ramp near the top of the Moat? The top groove above felt like III despite it being a grade II! Grades eh...
 Rick Graham 08 Feb 2015
In reply to KA:
Without looking at the guide , off the top of my head.

Nordwand goes diagonally left. Its direct start is one or two pitches long starting to its left.

Nordwand Direct starts at the same place as Nordwand but climbs straight up

Edit 22.27 for 300 metres with a right trending ramp to finish
Post edited at 22:28
 mike barnard 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

That's the impression I got. The interesting thing is the fine and much more obvious groove (than the Direct Start) just to the right is not mentioned at all. I think some folk do it thinking it's Nordwand Direct, which arguably it should be.
 Rick Graham 08 Feb 2015

> That's the impression I got. The interesting thing is the fine and much more obvious groove (than the Direct Start) just to the right is not mentioned at all. I think some folk do it thinking it's Nordwand Direct, which arguably it should be.

I think it is if I understand you correctly.

Maybe I should be a bit more adventurous with route names
 mike barnard 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks Rick - I didn't look at the FA details!

Is the finishing right-trending ramp different to that of The Moat?
 Rick Graham 09 Feb 2015
TBH this face is more perplexing than the Exit cracks.

The 2002 SMC Ben Nevis guide diagrams for this particular face are a bit vague to me ( sorry Simon ) , ideally a photo topo may show the lines more clearly but not all perhaps are visible from one viewpoint.

The best diagram I have at home is in the Kimber/ Cicerone 1994 edition page 114. Will scan you a copy.

I did Nordwand a day or two before Nordwand Direct and my earlier comments (22.07 on Sunday )about the routes do not need modifying.

Now, can anybody explain where American Pie goes?
Post edited at 22:22
 mike barnard 09 Feb 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

>
> The 2002 SMC Ben Nevis guide diagrams are a bit vague to me ( sorry Simon ) , ideally a photo topo may show the lines more clearly but not all perhaps are visible from one viewpoint.

I agree, a good photo-topo would work wonders for this face and quite a few others on the Ben.

> The best diagram I have at home is in the Kimber/ Cicerone 1994 edition page 114. Will scan you a copy.
>

That would be great!
In reply to mike barnard: There's a photo-topo in the new (2010) Cicerone/Pescod guide. Page 177.

Can anyone give me an idea what the mixed climbs high on the Ben are like at the moment? Particularly Number 3 Gully Buttress and around that area.
 Tricadam 12 Feb 2015

Superb conditions in Minus Two Gully today (Weds). We were headed for Point Five but unsurprisingly were beaten to it. "The finest of the Nevis gullies" was the consolation prize. A full range of ice on offer. Thought-provoking descent down NE Buttress by torchlight...!
 KA 13 Feb 2015

We climbed Mega Route X and the rarely climbed The Chute on Ben Nevis yesterday. The first few meters of The Chute were a bit thin but fine to climb and overall both routes were in fantastic condition.

http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2015/02/12/mega-route-x-chute-ben-nevi...
 neil the weak 13 Feb 2015

We've been up the last couple of days. Climbed Gemini into Bewildabeast on Wednesday, which was in excellent and I'd think quite easy condition (take a lost arrow or bulldog for the upper mixed corner) and Nordwand with all the good looking "bonus" pitches included. It was getting a bit wet and thin on pitch one but rapidly improved with height. Brilliant route and much more varied and involved than it looks from a distance if you do all the icefalls. Amazing up there right now generally really.

alastairbegley 13 Feb 2015

Brilliant day in the cloud on Zero Gully today, fantastic ice with mostly first time placements all the way. Axes didn't even touch rock! http://www.masterplan-mountaineering.co.uk/2015/02/zero-gully/
 alastairbegley 14 Feb 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:

another good day on the curtain today, got up early to avoid the queues. The standard route is very hooked out, but the ice is so fat that by taking in some steeper sections it's possible to climb on fat unhooked ice. http://www.masterplan-mountaineering.co.uk/2015/02/curtain/
 KA 14 Feb 2015

Multiple teams on most routes today. We found a bit of peace and quiet on Neptune Gully, one of the most underrated climbs on the mountain.

http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2015/02/14/2-new-routes-summit-neptune...
 pass and peak 15 Feb 2015

Climbed Compression Crack yesterday (well the first part anyway) all still relatively good, gets better the higher you go. Snow plod up any gully's is better than a few days ago, but needs to be trodden on early morning while still hard, not so friendly after lunch but makes for easy decent.
On a separate note: never seen so many people on the mountain or so many cars in the NF car park, they were backed up almost all the way to the road, car share if you can people!!
 alastairbegley 15 Feb 2015
In reply to pass and peak:

Another early start, another day on the ben, another fantastic climb and an even more tired body. Climbed Comb Gully on the Ben today, as per usual at the moment the conditions were fantastic. http://www.masterplan-mountaineering.co.uk/2015/02/comb-gully/
 DaveHK 15 Feb 2015

A note of caution for those reading these reports and assuming the Ben is in stellar nick. The routes that are in are mostly in great nick but it's strangely localised with some routes fat and others completely bare.
 Elsier 15 Feb 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes like Slingsby's Chimney which is very thin (and unprotectable) at the moment. Although having just read the logbook maybe that isn't that unusual. I wish I'd known that before we tried to use it as an approach for NE Buttress on Sat, as by the time we'd had a good go at it and then abbed off, we thought it would be too late to walk round and start on such a long route.

We went up Ledge route and down number 4 instead so we had a pretty good tour of the mountain and it looked like there were a lot of routes in awesome nick.
 Oli_31 15 Feb 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:
Sounds almost identical to our experience, down to the slight oops moment soloing the first pitch to the aerated ice (i.e. cruddy) on the top belay! we must have been just behind you : )
Post edited at 21:38
 Rick Graham 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Elsier:

> Yes like Slingsby's Chimney which is very thin (and unprotectable) at the moment. Although having just read the logbook maybe that isn't that unusual.

Once, on a multi route soloing day, up to grade V, a short section of Slingsby's Chimney had by far the hardest moves all day.
 MrRiley 16 Feb 2015

Some photos and spiel on a cracking couple of days on the Ben and Aonach Mor including The Curtain, Italian Right Hand, Point Five, Boomer's Requiem and Left Twin: http://www.mistymountainhop.net/2015/02/west-is-best-classic-ice-on-ben-nev...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...