UKC

crampons for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 herbe_rouge 05 Feb 2015
We're taking the kids to Snowdon next week and for the first time they may need crampons. These are not going to be used heavily (grade I max right now) but they will be used regularly in the future. Any advice as to the best C1/C2 s for little feet (size 1 and size 3 (lowest length =20 cm)) would be really appreciated. Many thanks.....

atb,

Steve

PeterBlackler 05 Feb 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

We've used these for simiilar size feet...seem OK; before that he used the instep type

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-snowline-crampon-p193163

(not for sale to under 18's though!)

Pete
Post edited at 21:25
OP herbe_rouge 05 Feb 2015
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Many thanks - really helpful and much appreciated.

"not for sale to under 18's though!" ....... I'm going to issue both of them with a false moustache and deep voices.....

thanks again,

Steve
 PeterBlackler 08 Feb 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Hi Steve,

Are you up in Snowdonia with the kids this week? If so looks like conditions could be great for them...would be interested to hear how it goes

We're planning to be up for part of half term (from the 15th) and just hoping that winter conditions remain that long!

BR

Pete
OP herbe_rouge 08 Feb 2015

Hi Pete,

We're there from the 14th to 16th/17th - doesn't look like the winter conditions are going to hold - will let you know but pessimistic about the need for crampons now. Were pitching at the bottom of Snowdon so if you fancy a pint/walk give us a shout via e-mail.

all the best

Steve
 PeterBlackler 11 Feb 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Hi Ben,

Apologies for delayed reply. As you say the winter weather remaining in Snowdonia over half term looks decidedly iffyy...

We're staying at Idwal Cottage YHA; although impressed with your family hardiness camping. Our Ryan is 11, I'm assuming from the shoe sizes yours are just a bit younger than that

I'll let you know what our plans are as the weather make up it's mind, the web cams have shown fog for days before that it looked great

BR

Peter
OP herbe_rouge 11 Feb 2015

Hi Pete,

The kids (Lanoe 7, Niamh, 10) are used to wild camping at altitude so this is a walk in the park for them but I'm carrying an old injury that has just decided to re-visit so our attack on central trinity is definitely off! However, we'll be there from Saturday - Tuesday if you fancy a (delicate) approach - we thought about the Ranger path or perhaps Tryfan, or maybe just an amble and a beer, depending upon logistics, weather and injuries....

Either way (and completely off-topic) this has made us realise that our kids are not the only ones who enjoy the mountains - maybe we should start a new thread for climbing family stuff..... In the meantime, feel free to e-mail for location (don't particularly want to advertise our pitch location on the web since we'll be away from it for some time!).

all the best,

Steve
 PeterBlackler 12 Feb 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Hi Steve, Ok I'll send you an email (as you say probably not a good idea to publicise the camp location)

The thread for "climbing families" definitely a good idea; I think there are some fairly outmoded attitudes to young climbers and families in some British clubs and quite a wide misunderstanding of the BMC child protection guidelines which have minimal administrative implications when parents or carers are present (a quite different situation arises when kids are under supervision by other adults)

BR

Pete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...