UKC

Stickle Tarn Sell-off a good idea ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wercat 07 Feb 2015

I just read this and my jaw (metaphorically) dropped.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/02/06/lake-district-authority-puts-la...
Post edited at 15:17
 Trangia 07 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

Wow! Clever Lake District Authority, good luck to them if it raises £20,000 to £30,000. You know the saying that "A fool and his money are easily parted"?
OP wercat 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I started to wonder whether they have done this before or whether this is, almost literally, stickling a toe in the tarn indicating an intention to sell off various assets piecemeal
 toad 07 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:
looks like the authority want a one off no-strings-attached grant of £30,000 from the National Trust.
Post edited at 15:49
In reply to wercat:
Some more forum discussion at the end of this piece here on UKH too: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=69484
Post edited at 16:07
OP wercat 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan, hadn't spotted that!
 cymjt 08 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

For god sakes, don't let it go to the National Trust! They'll just build a hydro scheme like they are doing all over Snowdonia...
In reply to cymjt:

Should just get rid of the tarn, only built for the gunpowder factory anyway. Restore the natural look.

FactorXXX 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Should just get rid of the tarn, only built for the gunpowder factory anyway. Restore the natural look.

Alternatively, keep the tarn and reopen the gunpowder factory...
In reply to FactorXXX:

Park needs to diversify to survive. Could add a zip wire from the tarn to the factory, rocket powered of course.
OP wercat 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

I suppose an enterprising buyer could pay the price and then sell off tiny plots to affluent folk compleat with Sir-tifficits of orthentissity
 Spike 08 Feb 2015
In reply to cymjt:

> For god sakes, don't let it go to the National Trust! They'll just build a hydro scheme like they are doing all over Snowdonia...

and why would small scale hydro be a bad thing? For instance when compared to other energy generation opportunities in this area? I'm not concerned whether it would be National trust or any other developer as long as its done in accordance with environmental regulations.

S
 beth 08 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

There's a possible hint in the particulars that it is subject to the Reservoirs Act. Since there's a hotel at the bottom of the outfall should the dam leak or break there are significant safety issues, which under the act places the owner under legal obligations and consequential shed load of admin, not to mention insurance premiums. Maybe the dam aint looking good.
 The New NickB 08 Feb 2015
In reply to beth:

My feeling from reading the article has that it was all about relieving themselves of a liability, rather than generating cash.
 JJL 08 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

So presumably I can buy it and open a campsite?
 Ridge 08 Feb 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> My feeling from reading the article has that it was all about relieving themselves of a liability, rather than generating cash.

Sounds very much like it.
 Bulls Crack 08 Feb 2015
In reply to JJL:

On rafts or would you drain it first?
 Dan Arkle 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

> Park needs to diversify to survive. Could add a zip wire from the tarn to the factory, rocket powered of course.

if its rocket powered it should go from the factory from to the tarn!
 Mark Eddy 08 Feb 2015
In reply to cymjt:

The National Trust have already done exactly that. Stickle ghyll now has a hydro scheme that's either nearly finished or already complete.
Not been passed the works for a while, but it wasn't showing signs of being intrusive to the landscape, local stone being used, etc. Seems a good plan.
In reply to Dan Arkle:

That's some good thinking right there sir. Think it is time search for capital and invest, rocket zip, floating campsite, it can't fail.
 JJL 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

It includes the strip of land around it
 John Kelly 09 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

Floating nightclubs are very popular in certain parts of world, Tuxedo upon Tyne
 Philip 09 Feb 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

It would be great to have pedalos up there in summer. Or perhaps some trout in it for an evening meal for campers.
 Wainers44 09 Feb 2015
In reply to JJL:

> It includes the strip of land around it

So that's beach front development potential right? I'm thinking import golden sand (ala Tenerife), some apartment blocks, modern stuff, not that horrible rustic natural stone, and maybe a small marina?

Which agent is dealing with sale, this could be worth a punt...
 Chris the Tall 09 Feb 2015
In reply to toad:

> looks like the authority want a one off no-strings-attached grant of £30,000 from the National Trust.

Yep, that's my first thought.

Here in the Peak the NT/RSPB are doing a much better job of managing the Eastern Moors than the PDNPA did, so very happy with them taking over management of such places. And yes the national parks are woefully underfunded (especially in contrast to Royal Opera House or the London Parks), but hasn't this land already been given to the nation once ?
 Michael Ryan 10 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

FRCC have bought it. Pavey is being 'developed' into a sport crag, Stickle will be a watersports centre with luxury condos and an Impact conference centre. Admission charges for all scruffy hill walkers, no dogs or cats allowed.
OP wercat 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Michael Ryan:

on the local news they reported that a group of open water swimmers were wanting to buy it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...