UKC

Home CCTV: External cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 09 Feb 2015
I have just moved into a fairly isolated rented property with oil central heating, some bright spark installed the tank where it is visible from the main road and an absolute theft magnet. I was thinking of installing a wireless IP camera but most of the cost effective ones have a hard wired ethernet cable with socket for setup which needs to be posted through the wall. I can get away with a small hole but not a 1" hole that will take an rj45 socket!

Any suggestions for a cheapish external camera capable of 720p and with illumination that doesn't require a catflap sized hole in the wall? I'd prefer wireless but could probably install a wired one with PoE at a pinch.

Thanks
 robal 09 Feb 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

you could run the cat5 cable through the wall and then once through put the rj45 socket on? I should imagine if you do a neat job reversing the work is a case of a bit of pollyfiller and a little bit of mortar the other side. the hole is only 6mm.

I doubt that helps but its what I'd do, I've had all sorts of problems with wifi cameras
 jkarran 09 Feb 2015

Wouldn't a fence panel covering the tank or an empty camera box do the trick if you want a deterrent. There's not much use in a blurry shot of someone stealing your oil.

You could always push a cut CAT5 through a small hole then fit the connector yourself.
jk
OP Reach>Talent 09 Feb 2015
In reply to jkarran:

The fence is also in progress, but I'd like an extra deterrent.
XXXX 09 Feb 2015

As others have said, get a RJ45 crimping set and lop the end off the cable.

Or for wireless, just go to Maplins. Buy a mid range camera with built in IR. Job done.
OP Reach>Talent 09 Feb 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Unfortunately having looked at a few they generally seem to have less than a foot of cable before the plug so any joint I make will need to be outside which adds faff as it will need to be waterproof.
 cander 09 Feb 2015

We're just in the process if fitting a full on CCTV system, the main issue we're dealing with is the camera needs to be good enough to record a number plate and facial features (good enough for evidential purposes) at night, that needs illumination so we're replacing our sodium dusk til dawn lights with a whiter LED 50 w light (should use slightly less power than the sodium light) and also we'll put a PIR switch on the sodium lights that we don't want on all the time (the ones that would keep us awake). We need to be able to store about one weeks video from the cameras (5 or 6) so we are looking at terabytes of storage. Chances are if someone nicks your oil, you won't know about it straight away so the stored images may be overwriten. Also consider a loud alarm on the door in the fence - you can pick up shed door alarms cheaply that will do the job. A rough and sharp finish to the top of the fence is worth considering - anything to deter thieves. We're feeling a bit bruised after losing £3500 worth if equipment from the barn last week!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...