UKC

High altitude cameras...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 10 Feb 2015
Hi all,

Looking whether to invest in a new camera for my expedition to the Himalayas this Spring. Currently I have a Compact Canon Powershot which is perfect size but the quality isn't too overwhelming and I don't trust the batteries will be up to being taken over 8000m. My DSLR will be staying at base camp though.

I've had a few recommendations including the Olympus Tough TG3- has anybody used any models at extreme altitudes before and kindly be able to advise?
 rallymania 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Stani49:
is there an issue with batteries and altitude? (temperature i can understand)

i guess something that you could carry a few spare batteries with?

googled after i wrote the above and found this...

http://www.wired.com/2009/09/the-150-space-camera-mit-students-beat-nasa-on...

i think you'll be OK at 8000m if you keep things warm enough
Post edited at 13:49
 JR 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Stani49:
ive used a s95 just shy of 8000m and a friend took this stitch on a s90 at the same height. Keep it warm and it's fine.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CydYBmptVNo/TsOYbBQuhJI/AAAAAAAAANY/5Q0dhB9GObs/...
Post edited at 16:02
m0unt41n 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Stani49:

I've used a Tough TG810 to about 7900 and some time back a Canon S90 to 7000+
The Tough is great in day time with lots of light but hopeless dawn / dusk or dim because the aperture is small and sensor tiny. I took quite a few spare batteries. daytime its ok on rucksack straps, otherwise needs to be inside a jacket to keep battery warm.

The 810 was ideal since it has a shutter to cover the lens. They have stopped that now which is a pain since you have to check whether the lens is dirty each time you use it.

If only one camera I'll take the TG810 or similar.
Otherwise if more than one I will still take the TG and plus something like the Sony RX100M3

Damo 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Stani49:

Something small enough to keep warm in an accessible upper pocket (with a neck cord so you don't drop it), but not so small you can't push the buttons with gloves on. e.g. I could not operate a Sony RX100 with gloves on. My Canon S100 is just OK.

Preferably something you can shoot one handed with. i.e. no removable lens cap.
Take at least two or three spare batteries. Easier than recharging.
It's using the cam in the cold that will kill the batteries. Altitude is irrelevant.

I've never thought much of the image quality of the Panasonic Tough cameras, but maybe the very latest ones are better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...