UKC

Best or favourite Dire Straits song

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 10 Feb 2015
This one is mine, full length version. Loving the guitars!

youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY&
 anaesthetic 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

You know when time's up at Awesome Walls, Stockport
 climbwhenready 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Telegraph Road
 Kimono 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

definitely in agreement with that version of sultans Denni.
Then Telegraph Road from the same album, followed by the theme to Local Hero
 Oli 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Brothers in Arms.
 Clarence 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

So Far Away reminds me of many a slow dance wearing my best powder blue jacket and Adidas headband...
 SteveD 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

+1 for Telegraph Road
 Hat Dude 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Romeo & Juliet
 Trangia 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Oli:

> Brothers in Arms.

Plus 2
cb294 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

+1 for Sultans, but I prefer this version:

youtube.com/watch?v=ENJlmnqxZUQ&

CB

The Lemming 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Tough call between Sultans and Telegraph road.

Kimono 10 Feb 2015
In reply to cb294:

> +1 for Sultans, but I prefer this version:

> CB

really? I don't think that is anywhere near as exciting or interesting as the Alchemy version
 LastBoyScout 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Hard choice between Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road, but I'd also throw in Tunnel of Love.

Shame I'm in my wife's car today, or I'd put them on on the way home...
 barbeg 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Hi Denni,

That's easy......Love Over Gold......listen to the first few lines and it's what climbing in one's early years is all about. It so accurately describes a period in my early years( well, the whole of my 20's actually), where I spent all my waking hours, climbing, dinking, driving like a madman and chasing women...all to extreme and often at the same time. Reckless? Absolutely....Wouldn't have missed it for the world!!!!!

ANdy
 Jamie Wakeham 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:
Brothers in Arms. Hands shoved deep into pockets. "Watch this."

Possibly the finest six minutes of TV ever.
Post edited at 19:41
 David Lanceley 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

youtube.com/watch?v=6pR1cVgk7Is&

Glencoe's easy but which other crags / hills can you spot?
 haworthjim 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:
Industrial Disease from the love over gold album gets my vote

youtube.com/watch?v=STMh9xCdzr8&
 Mike C 10 Feb 2015
In reply to David Lanceley:

Thanks for that video share, it's beautiful. Some great shots of Skye Quiraing too, one of Loch an Eilean maybe as well? However, the music is not Dire Straits but Mark Knopfler alone, not bad for a Geordie eh?

Re the OP, another vote for Telegraph Road, but Private Investigations from the same album isn't a bad track either.
 haworthjim 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:
Top ten songs - my vote was at no 10!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dire-straits-songs/
redsonja 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

sultans of swing and so far away, but most/ all of their songs are really good
 PhilWS 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

+1 Romeo and Juliet
 Mikkel 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

All depends what mood i am in, there is just to many really great songs.

This is my favorite version of BIA though youtube.com/watch?v=23KHLW2dw_o&

andymac 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:
Tunnel of Love

or

Romeo or Juliet. (Discovered one day on site that I know it word for word)

or

Brothers in Arms.

And

Why Worry (hits the spot and does exactly what it says on the tin.)
Post edited at 23:03
Removed User 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Well Dire Straits might be about as cool as a bluetooth earpiece but I have fond memories as a child driving round with my Dad in his Lada with that double cassette Alchemy Live playing. Got to be Romeo and Juliet - for the intro.
 Kimono 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> Well Dire Straits might be about as cool as a bluetooth earpiece but I have fond memories as a child driving round with my Dad in his Lada with that double cassette Alchemy Live playing. Got to be Romeo and Juliet - for the intro.

It is a generally accepted fact that although Ds is generally extremely uncool, it is more than acceptable to love Alchemy....but only Alchemy mind!
cb294 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

The Alchemy version is OK, but I don´t really like its excited, almost bouncy feeling. IMO Sultans is a calm, reflective song, and should be played accordingly.

CB
 The Lemming 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

I seriously, seriously hate Twisting by the pool.

Agggggg!

youtube.com/watch?v=DsJ5aYK-S6Y&
Removed User 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Aha thanks for the validation - it's been bugging me for years
Removed User 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed User:

As I am in the Army Brothers in Arms.

I belive that Dire Straights have given the Army the rights to use the song without paying royalties.

Then Romeo and Juliet as it reminds me of an old flame.

But then telegraph Road anbd Sultans of Swing are also ace.

So not sure, but is is defnitely NOT Twisting by the Pool.

Hat Dude 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

The Theme From Local Hero

Not strictly Dire Straits, but holds special memories as seeing the film was the first time we went out after our twins were born. Ten years later we all spent a magical evening on "Ben's beach" before getting the ferry to Rum early next morning.
 Andy Hardy 11 Feb 2015
In reply to anaesthetic:

> You know when time's up at Awesome Walls, Stockport

They've stopped doing this now in fact they don't play enough "middle aged blokes music" there these days, most of it requires Class A assistance.
 wilkie14c 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Very difficult to call. I guess a mix of what has already been named.
not a favorite but I quite 'Waay eye man' for some strange reason! Anyone here listened to the 'knotting hillbillies?' (Knoflers folky experiment) I quite like them, only have one album, "Missing, presumed having a good time" but it quite good
 TMM 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Interesting timing.

I have just been re-discovering DS. I love MK's guitar style and the interplay of lyrics and licks.

For me, the definitive version of BiA was the version performed at the Mandela tribute concert in 1988
youtube.com/watch?v=5vUDmFjWgVo&
How it is possible to get so much emotion from an inanimate object is beyond me. Stunning.

I have always loved Alchemy: Not a duff track on there although 'Two young lovers' is not in keeping with the rest.

From the studio albums there are gems on all of them. Some the lesser known tracks that deserve a listen would include 'Six blade knife' and 'Wild west end' from the debut. On Communique there 'News' (some journo used the line 'Knopfler hides a choir of angels in his guitar'. Perfect description) and 'Follow me home'. From Making Movies 'Skateaway' and 'Hand in hand' do not get enough attention. 'Industrial disease' from Love over gold is a wonderful satire as relevant now as it was in the early '80's. The ubiquity of Brothers has killed it a little for me but sometimes snatches of songs jump into my head. I was running last Sunday and 'Ride across the river' was keeping me company. 'So far away' is just great little song youtube.com/watch?v=ObzXL0p7t1E&

I have always been intrigued by Knopfler. Achieving fame comparatively late has meant he has always had more to say about the 'real' world and his two previous professions of journalism and teaching have clearly informed his narrative lyrics. It takes courage and conviction (as well £100m in the bank!) to tell the record company that the DS is over and that from now on he will release records under his own name. I like the fact that he clearly cares more for the music than the fame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...