UKC

VIDEO: SKYE WALL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 10 Feb 2015
They had planned to go back the next week, but three years after their initial visit, a climbing team returns to Skye Wall near Loch Coruisk to attempt the second ascent of its eponymous E8 route. A film by Dom Bush.

Watch the video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=2421
 jon 10 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Excellent. And what a route. Are there other routes on the wall... or just lots of scope?
In reply to UKC Videos:

One of the nicest videos I've seen about climbing in Skye for a long while, because it gets the whole context of the experience so well. Brought back happy memories of spending four days on my own c.1990 at the Coruisk Hut in indifferent weather. I think about the longest period I've ever had completely on my own. I remember looking at that superb high quality lump of gabbro behind the hut, and tracing lines (far beyond my ability) up it in my imagination, so it's a bit of a thrill to see them being done years later ) And then another occasion camping on the spur outside the hut with a friend from the film industry - lots of walking mixed with mt photography. Then I was back there about 3 years later with Mike Lates during my Cuillin book, when I had one of the best three days in the british mountains in my life. Weather was perfect, and Mike did the Greater Traverse with me in a kind of background support/photographic role (soloing Dubhs Ridge, divvying on Garsbheinn, me then carrying down all the divvy gear in a heat wave. And then going all the way to Blaven and up the south ridge to meet him when he finished … then all the way back to the Coruisk hut, finishing in dark, c. midnight… ) My memory - nearly as strong as all the very good ones - is of very heavy sacks always. The divvy /camping/medium/large format camera gear/tripod/plus scrambling gear/rope … weighing a ton.

(PS. amused by way you can't say biv-vy on this message form without the spellchecker turning it to divvy!)
 Michael Gordon 10 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Lovely wee film.
 aln 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

bivvy
 wolf.leeb 10 Feb 2015
In reply to aln:

Bivvy... (Just checking)
In reply to wolf.leeb:

Maybe it's my Safari browser. Another attempt. Bivvy.
In reply to wolf.leeb:

They've obviously changed the UKC spellchecker )
 jon 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

No Gordon, divvy's much better!
In reply to jon:

I suppose you could have a spivvy, givvy, civvy, divvy bivvy, i.e, a trendy, loving, civilised, double-sleeping bag, bivouac.
 BusyLizzie 10 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

So lovely! I must go to Skye ...
 thommi 11 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Lovely
 George Fisher 12 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Great. Did anybody else spot the guy's willy out dancing the jig at the end?
 ejected 13 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

great film
 Climber_Bill 13 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Brilliant film, thanks for showing.

The video played music by a fantastic string band called "Shake That Little Foot". I have found some of their music on the internet here; http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Shake_That_Little_Foot/Shake_That_Little_...

However, I cannot find any info about the band themselves. They do date back to the early nineties so may no longer exist as a band. Does anyone know anything more about them.

Thanks.

Rich.
 Skyfall 13 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Brought back memories of a trip to Coruisk, started off camping outside the hut but extreme winds forced everyone inside. With the Carlisle Mountaineering Club. Also recall looking at the crag behind and wondering what was do'able (in good weather). Eventually ended up doing the Dubh Ridge with my mate Rob in the one day of good weather. Beautiful place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...