UKC

Point Lenana - kit needed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 10 Feb 2015
Hi all, a friend of mine with no alpine experience but with a few 4000ers in other parts of the world under his belt is keen to do this while on holiday in Kenya. Is it doable without alpine experience and kit? Is it worth hiring a guide/porters? I can't get a particularly clear picture from searching different forums.

Thanks
 matthew 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Jim Houghton:

A rope is not normally used. National park fees are payable. Some acclimatisation is advisable. The route is not hard to find. Porters may be helpful when carrying in supplies but should not be needed on the way out.
awidgery 11 Feb 2015
In reply to matthew:

I'm the friend...

After contacting a few outfits it seems they'll give you an army of guides, porters and a cook to carry all manner of kit up and charge you $600-1000/person for the privilege. There are two of us, both of whom have done >4000m peaks and both happy to carry our own kit. A single guide seems reasonable - if we did want to take one do you have any tips where we can find one?

Finally - any tips on best route? We'll be climbing first week of March this year.

Thanks
 JayPee630 11 Feb 2015
In reply to awidgery:

IIRC it's just a walk, albeit one that's a bit high. Don't remember anything special about the route being tricky or hard to find, think there's basically one main track up. The huts are a bit rubbish.
 Bob 11 Feb 2015
In reply to awidgery:
Did it years ago (new year 1989/90), it's basically a high altitude walk - think Snowdon from Lliwedd with a bit of snow. We did it as part of the round the peaks walk which was a reasonable day from a camp site above Mackinder's hut.

Kit wise didn't use anything out of the ordinary, probably wore trainers. Had a lightweight fleece for the morning chill.
Post edited at 09:08
 Jasonic 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob:

Our local chap wore wellies- the walk around the peak is spectacular.
Something like comfy walking boots or trainers would be good.
 Bob 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Jasonic:

In a way doing it over two days would give better views - it got very misty in the afternoon so didn't see much for the latter part of the walk.
 matthew 11 Feb 2015
In reply to awidgery:

Mountain club of Kenya website and Lonely Planet's thorn tree forum have more information.
Obviously read guidebooks and maps from Cordee / Lonely Planet etc.
Considering your experience, you will probably conclude it is simpler to be self-guided.
If you are coming from sea level, you may take a bit longer to acclimatise than people who have been living in Nairobi so allow time and enjoy the walk.
 Howard J 11 Feb 2015
In reply to matthew:

Even from Nairobi the altitude is a bit of a jump - at 4979m it's higher than Mont Blanc so the same acclimatisation considerations apply. In my view the risk of altitude sickness should always be taken seriously. While some people may be unaffected and able to nip up and down quickly with no ill effects, others may get altitude sickness. I was very ill for 24 hours after my ascent, although I've never been able to decide whether that was caused by altitude or just from being in Africa. With hindsight I would have spent another night at the hut to help acclimatise. A friend died from altitude sickness on Mt Kenya while still at only around 12000 ft.

It's just a walk. There might be a bit of snow but there's nothing technical. It seems to be usual to make an early start in order to be at the top by dawn, which is spectacular but even on the equator is bloody cold so take warm clothes and gloves if you're going to do this - consider taking a down jacket if you'll be sitting around waiting for dawn. Once the sun is up it quickly gets warm.
 Martyn Maltby 11 Feb 2015

Its a walk with a bit of scrambling. No gear required except for a good headlamp and a bloody good duvet.

I did it on the Sirimon Route, a night at Sirimon gate, met the guide and porters there, a night at Old Moses and a night at Shiptons, all helped the acclimatisation.

Contact Francis at www.thigasafari.com

Tell him I told you.
 nniff 11 Feb 2015

Do a circuit of the mountain clockwise. It means that you spend a night one small hut, another in the small hut under the NW? face of the mountain, then go over Pt Lenana to the Austrian hut, back up Pt lenana for dawn and back down via Mckinders to the Met Station

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...