UKC

starship troopers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just watched this. would someone return my two hours please.
 aln 10 Feb 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

1st film? Fantastic.
 Radioactiveman 10 Feb 2015

Great film,worth it for the shower scene alone
 Pete Houghton 10 Feb 2015

One of the finest modern works of satire.
 Clarence 10 Feb 2015

Classic Verhoeven, love the adverts.
 sbc_10 11 Feb 2015

The only good bug is a dead bug.
 Skyfall 11 Feb 2015

Modern USA take note...
 douwe 11 Feb 2015

Great movie. Seen it twice.
 goose299 11 Feb 2015

The first one is fantastic. They do steadily get worse.
I hear there's a fourth one out now too
andrew breckill 11 Feb 2015

'Its a bug planet, an ugly planet. '

1st ones a classic.
andrew breckill 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Skyfall:
I think that's the satire part, its based on modern USA.
moffatross 11 Feb 2015
In reply to andrew breckill:

I didn't think it was meant to be satirical, nor contemporary. It was written at a time when 'the reds' amongst others were some of the USA's public enemies, all libertarian views were 'suspect', and I get the impression that Heinlein would have been a staunch Republican.

P.S. I've read a few Heinlein books, and some of them were fun, but he was a bit of a loony.
 The Potato 11 Feb 2015

I want to know more...
Removed User 11 Feb 2015
In reply to moffatross:

I believe the original book was not satirical i.e. written by a rightwing loon - but Verhoeven's take on it is.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Feb 2015
In reply to moffatross:

Heinlein was a libertarian - initially a left wing libertarian, later a right wing libertarian.
And the film bears absolutely no relation to the book, other than the title and a few names.
moffatross 11 Feb 2015
I'd always got the impression that while some may have thought he was a 'libertarian' through his positive depictions of incest and human eugenics, in most respects, he just came across as a right-wing nutter. I'm sure he was a loyal friend to many causes though, I'd guess the National Rifle Association being one of them.
 greg_may_ 11 Feb 2015

Excellent books, and a excellent adaptation as a film. No idea what the OP was on about.

AS for the latter films....well they ain't so good.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Feb 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

The film wasn't really an adaptation of the book. It was a pre-existing unrelated script called Bug Hunt at Outpost 9, which then had bits of Starship Troopers spliced into it.
http://www.fangoria.com/new/fango-flashback-starship-troopers-1997/
 Offwidth 11 Feb 2015
In reply to greg_may_:
I fully understand the OP and he's far from the first to express that view. Why people don't get taste is a varied thing is beyond me. I enjoyed it (although it's far from being great in my view) but am 'soft' on Sci-Fi stuff. As satires go I found it rather blunt and one-dimensional. I sort of enjoyed the sequel's: tongue-in-cheek 'cartoon-like' marketing exploitation 'n'all and worry about people who claim a huge difference in anything but budget related stuff from the first (in a similar sense to claims made for Highlander).
Post edited at 14:27
 1poundSOCKS 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> As satires go I found it rather blunt and one-dimensional

If we're talking dimensions, I'd give it at least 2. I think it works as a straight action movie, but it's also a commentary on American fascism. Do they count as dimensions?
 wercat 13 Feb 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

and a general warning against having anyone's patriotism manipulated by militarists/empire builders.
 1poundSOCKS 13 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

Three dimensions and counting...
 john arran 13 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

> and a general warning against having anyone's patriotism manipulated by militarists/empire builders.

Is there any other purpose of patriotism?
 rogerwebb 13 Feb 2015
In reply to john arran:

> Is there any other purpose of patriotism?

defence of liberty?

(O'Connell, Parnell, Max Manus, Simon Bolivar among others may have felt patriotism had a positive aspect)
 1poundSOCKS 13 Feb 2015
In reply to john arran:

> Is there any other purpose of patriotism?

People tend to do better for themselves by forming groups and working together. Patriotism is just a name for how we group together by country, and show loyalty to that group. Obviously it doesn't always lead to a nice happy existence for everyone.
 JamButty 13 Feb 2015

Great film, up there with Robocop for satire.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...