UKC

Backpackers — how long does a 250g can of gas last you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 12 Feb 2015
When I go backpacking I always chuck a 500g screwtop gas canister into my rucksack without really thinking about it, but a lot of the time when I get back there's still a fair bit of gas sloshing around. I've come to the conclusion that it's probably wasteful.

My question is, if you use the smaller 250g cartridges, how long do they last you for summer backpacking? My usage pattern per day is boiling a total of maybe 700ml of water, minimal simmering, and I use an MSR Pocket Rocket. I appreciate everyone will get different mileage, but I'd be interested in any views.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

We always reckon a 250g cartridge will last 2 of us for 2 days with probably enough spare for a 3rd day if necessary.
 IPPurewater 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

If I use a pot cosy after bringing food to a simmer, let it sit cooking away for 5 to 10 minutes in the cosy with the stove off, before bringing it back to a simmer before eating it, about three days. This would include boiling about 700ml of water for drinks too. I always use a windsheild made from a foil baking tray.

Try a new 250 g canister on a typical day. Weigh it before and after the day to find out how much you've used. You'll then know how long it will last with your set up.
 Bob 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

On a mountain marathon a few years ago we took a 100g gas cartridge, it managed for all our food and (lots of) brews for the overnight camp with still some to spare. No idea exactly how much we used as I didn't weigh it before and after. The stove will have been one of the light Epigas/Coleman models.

Somewhere in my head is the rate of 1g/min, which may have come from alpine usage.
 Solaris 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

As you suggest, there are a lot of variables, but having a fuel efficient stove/pan set up makes a significant difference. On a recent backpacking trip lasting 14 days, we (two of us) took 2x 500ml canister and had spare at the end. Having investigated a lot of options (icnluding a Pocket Rocket) we used an MSR Windpro with a Jetboil flux ring pan, which proved astonishinly quick getting water to boiling point.

Our daily usage was 2-3 brews each; boiling water for porridge in the morning; and heating water for cous cous or bulgar wheat + 2 freezedried food packs. Cold water temp was ca. 5 C.
 OwenM 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Last summer I did a nine day trip through Knoydart and Kintail, I took 2 x 250g canisters. I used it for a 0.5lt mug of tea and water for instant porridge in the mornings and tea and a freeze dry in the evenings. One canister lasted for the first five days, I had over half the second one left at the end of my walk.

I used a vango stove http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-folding-gas-stove-97110109?id_colour=1... and a small alloy pan about 0.5lt with an alloy foil wind- shield.
 wercat 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Solaris:

use of a windshield hugely improves efficiency, particularly if it is big enough to shield a small pot. Also lets you get the last gas out by warming the canister.
 OwenM 12 Feb 2015
In reply to OwenM:

> . One canister lasted for the first five days, I had over half the second one left at the end of my walk.

Sorry that should have been one canister lasted for seven days.
>

nathan79 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

If you're carrying a spare: longer than you ever expected.
No spare in your arsenal: 1 boil short of what you need!
 Solaris 12 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:
Yes, I know. That's why we didn't take the Pocket Rocket and used the stove (and windshield) and pan that we did!
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/gourmet-cooking/windpro-ii/product
http://www.jetboil.com/Accessories/1-5L-Cooking-Pot/
Post edited at 23:38
OP Only a hill 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Cheers for the views, folks. Some interesting stuff here.

I'm planning on doing the Cape Wrath Trail in June and am considering resupply points. I reckon I can get away with a 250ml gas canister between Fort William and Glen Shiel, but I can't remember if any of the shops in Glen Shiel actually sell gas or not. I'm fairly confident of being able to pick up a gas cartridge in Ullapool, though.
Jim C 13 Feb 2015
In reply to wercat:

> use of a windshield hugely improves efficiency, particularly if it is big enough to shield a small pot. Also lets you get the last gas out by warming the canister.

And a lid.

I constantly add lids to my wife's cooking pots, and can then turn down the gas by huge amounts, and still keep the water boiling.
( Then again, I have been doing this since 1979, and she still never puts a lid on a pot)
Moley 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I too weigh my canisters, just a simple overnighter gives you an idea of the weight of gas used, then multiply up accordingly.
 wercat 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Jim C:

I take the trouble usually to carry a small sized trangia kettle as my main use overnight is for drinks and as you say heating a covered container repays enormously.

Solaris, yes, I saw you used a shield, I suppose I was mentioning it for the benefit of anyone who hasn't bothered with one. I'd say windshields really make the smaller canisters viable as they cool and lose pressure so quickly in any but warm conditions
 JohnnyW 13 Feb 2015
In reply to nathan79:

> If you're carrying a spare: longer than you ever expected.

> No spare in your arsenal: 1 boil short of what you need!

A fact. And you get in that situation of trying to eke out the last bit, that sloshes about in the can, but produces a flame so weak you can hold your hand over it!

I use a Trangia kettle too, for the same reason as the poster above re-lids.

Simon Caldwell 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

The garage shop next to the camp site in Glen Shiel definitely sold gas canisters when we were there about 3 years ago. They didn't have much stock though, but I expect you could phone ahead and reserve one.
OP Only a hill 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Cheers.
needvert 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Most recent experience:

With a Jetboil Sumo, 5 nights winter camping 2 people, we used most but not all of a 230g canister and a bit of another (I'd guess the bit was well less than 1/4).

Then 4 nights winter camping, with just me, carrying too much fuel so ran stove a lot - to warm up hands, frequent hot drinks at night, most of a 230g canister got used.

Stove was used to heat water to make it more drinkable in the morning, and in the evening for drinks and dinner. Dinners never required cooking, just water brought to near boiling then stove turned off. Didn't need to ever melt snow.

If you're using a pocket rocket with a regular pot, I reckon you'll be able to get notable fuel savings by moving to more modern designed cooking systems with integrated heat exchangers.
 climbwhenready 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

We've just been measuring. With a Jetboil, we found that over the last few days 100g lasted 2 days and 2 nights for 2 people. That was for porridge in the morning, food in the evening, coffees, hot chocolates, a soup one lunchtime - quite a bit of use. Use temperature probably averaged around 1 degree C.
 d_b 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I got myself a new wood gas stove this year - the plan is to try backpacking with only a token amount of fuel in the form of firelighters...

Of course I will be taking a backup the first couple of times!
 IPPurewater 20 Feb 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Which one did you get and how does it perform ?

Cotton wool with petroleum jelly or lip salve worked in to it makes a good fire lighter.
 d_b 20 Feb 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

I got the IIt, and I don't know how it performs in the real world with gathered wood yet - planning to try it out for real in the spring. It seems fine with seasoned kindling, but that's not really the same thing.

One thing I am thinking of doing is taking a Trangia burner and small bottle of meths as an emergency backup if I can't find suitable fuel, as putting the firebox in upside down creates a platform at just about the right level.
 d_b 10 Mar 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

I made a few firelighters with bits of cotton wool soaked in wax. Easy enough to start with a fire steel and less messy than using vaseline.

I posted a few pics of it running on garden waste at the other place:

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showpost.php?post/322513/
 IPPurewater 10 Mar 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks David. That looks good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...