UKC

Ice/rock climbing area near Rjukan-Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stanleynkk 12 Feb 2015
Hi guys, me and friend have booked a ice climbing trip to Rjukan on the 20th, but looking at the weather forecast, its highly unlikely to be in good condition and therefore we are looking for a ""Plan B"".

Does anybody have some recommendations for rock climbing(multi-pitch sport/trad)& dry tooling at the near-by areas or ice climbing area that likely to be in good condition? Anything within 5hours drive from Oslo

Thank you!!!!
 ERU 12 Feb 2015
In reply to stanleynkk:

I'm watching conditions on the Facebook group 'Climb Rjukan/Tinn' - it's not looking like a disaster yet ...
 HeMa 13 Feb 2015
In reply to ERU:

Hemsedal & Valdres might also be an option... higher starting height, so more likely in condition...
 summo 13 Feb 2015
In reply to stanleynkk:

it might cool down in a week or so, but hut to hut skiing would be my choice.
 Mr. Lee 13 Feb 2015
In reply to stanleynkk:

Everything's going to either be covered in snow or running with seepage to consider trad. Maybe you could investigate Bohuslan in Sweden. I'm not sure if South Facing stuff is possible in winter or if too much seepage as well. There's a FB group for the area called "Klättertorpets guide till Bohuslän". Doesn't seem massively active.

Hemsedal is probably the best plan B. It's been colder there all winter so routes have had longer to form and are in better condition. Probably need to be leading WI4 to get the most out of a trip, Not a huge amount to go at below this grade. Apart from a couple of single pitch crags the routes are generally spread out and typically need a bit more effort for the approaches.
 gazzagabb 14 Feb 2015
In reply to summo:

Most huts don't open until 1 March - not even with key access. We had hoped to tour in the Hardanger this week but had to call it off.
 wbo 14 Feb 2015
In reply to stanleynkk: I think most byttes are open. They'll be busy this week as it's vinterferie, and they be unmanned, but most turistforeninga hyttes are open

robbiebrookie 15 Feb 2015
In reply to stanleynkk:

Hægefjell in Nissedal for trad multi-pitch on granite domes.

First visit last September, did a bunch of HVS equivalent multi pitch lines about 200-250m long. There is a good wild camping site at the base with access to fresh water.

About 2.5 hours from Rjukan.

Easier and harder Trad options on Hægefjell, plus a bunch of other venues near by. Think there is a downloadable Rockfax supplement for the Nissedal area.

R

robbiebrookie 15 Feb 2015
In reply to stanleynkk:

ps. can't speak for Hægefjell in February though...
 Mr. Lee 16 Feb 2015
In reply to robbiebrookie:

Would say no chance. They'll either be too much snow or stoo much seepage. Norway is not like the Uk where you can go rock climbing as soon as it gets warm. There's still stacks snow around. A lot of the higher venues often aren't in condition to climb until early summer, even when South facing.
 chalk monster 17 Feb 2015
In reply to stanleynkk:

It is currently raining in Rjukan! 😢

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...