UKC

Picos de Europa ski traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber_Ken 13 Feb 2015
Hi Anybody have any experience of skiing the traverse of the Picos de Europa. That is crossing all three massifs. There is a mention of it in an old spanish climbing guide, where they do it in three long stages.
Would like to have a go sometime but can't get any info on difficulty etc. Also is there a source of avalanche conditions etc.
Thanks in anticipation.
RockShock 13 Feb 2015
In reply to climber_Ken:
Hi Ken,

For the avvy forecast for Picos de Europa head here: http://www.proyectoenacc.com/meteo-nieve/bpa Usually there's a link to the PDF at the bottom, so that you can get a nicer, coloured version that can help if you don't speak Spanish.

As for the traverse itself, the December 2014 issue of Desnivel had a description of what you might be looking for: http://desnivel.com/revistas/especiales/desnivel-342

However, I didn't see it, so I cannot tell if it would be helpful in terms of maps, difficulty etc. I am guessing it shouldn't be too bad as Desnivel prepares their articles well. You may buy this issue on Zinio platform in digital form, so worst case you'll shell out 5EUR for nothing... The issue contains both the Picos Traverse and the Circular route - so perhaps this will give you some inspiration.

HTH
RS

PS: The avvy info is normally issued for weekends only, so take a look at the issue date when consulting the forecast.
Post edited at 10:48
OP climber_Ken 16 Feb 2015
In reply to RockShock:

Thanks for the info. Weather forecast was new to me. I have already ordered a copy of the mag. Postage to the UK is extorninate so I had it posted to a friend in Spain. Thanks for the info about the digital edition. Should save me the trouble in future.
Thanks
Ken
In reply to climber_Ken:

Hi Ken,
It's a worthwhile project but don't forget how close to the sea the range is. Good snow conditions can quickly change to rain-soaked slush or hard ice within days. This would tend to make a long trip a bit of a gamble, but good luck.

Dave
OP climber_Ken 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Dave Wynne-Jones:

Yes. Careful watching of the weather and a lightning strike would be needed.
Have you skied in the Picos?
Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...