UKC

Picos de Europa with kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bluebird 15 Feb 2015
Hola
Thinking might take kids to PdeE for 10 days over summer. Not been before and have just ordered some guidebooks. Anyone have any recommendations as to where to use for a base? Ideally looking for a gite with pool, will have a car so can travel about to enjoy walks etc. Kids are under 10 but fit. Just looking for gudance if anyone can make some suggestions.
Thanks
BB
grubus 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

We went frequently to the Picos area when our kids were young with various combinations of three other families. We quickly found that the unreliable weather made for problems so we based ouselves on the coast where the weather is a lot better and you can see what's happening in the Picos.. Most often we stayed at Oyambre, but also used Comillas, Llanes, Ribadesella. The kids enjoyed the beaches, villages and coastal walks. The climbers would do occasional day forays to the mountains according to the weather, and if there was a forecast of a good week we would all decamp into the mountains for a few days. Mostly stayed at Potes, but also with friends we had made in a small village. We did lots of river swimming, some backpacking with the kids (once, memorably with ages 3,4,5,6 and 7! )and, as they got older, nights bivvying which they still talk about 30 years later.
Didn't get as much climbing done as we might, but everyone loved those holidays. I think we went back about 8 times.
I'm sure this isn't the advive you wanted, but it made me smile to remember it all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...