UKC

Ben Nevis pony track condition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hendofan 15 Feb 2015
Hi guys planning on going to the ben on tues. Going to do the tourist path as my partner has v little exp. does anyone know the conditions on that side of the hill? Is the path viewable?
 verygneiss 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

The webcam seems to indicate (http://aboutfortwilliam.com/webcams/ben-nevis-and-fort-william) that there is still a good amount of snow/ice on the Ben. If you take her up, you'd both need crampons, walking axes, suitable clothing etc.
 DH3631 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Hendofan: the path is under snow from the red burn upwards ie half way. Winter kit definitely required to go to the top.

Blackmud 15 Feb 2015
In reply to verygneiss:

Or him.
Hendofan 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

Haha it is a him, Although sometimes I wonder.. The plan is to wand the summit plateau so we can follow it back but if red burn is choked with snow I'd be worried for him. He's no clue with crampons really.
In reply to Hendofan:

Was mainly quite compacted and slippery there today. The usual eejits out with trainers and hiking boots skiting all over the place.
 Simon Yearsley 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

mmmm... suggest you do make sure you are both well equipped, can both use axes and crampons properly and know how to navigate competently using map & compass on the Ben Nevis plateau. None of these skills are that difficult to acquire. All will, at the least, ensure you have a better chance of a pleasant day... they could also save you life.

PS - note totally sure of the wisdom of wanding the plateau. Others may clear up the rubbish/sorry, remove the wands, or you may wand your way over a cornice or down Five Finger Gully if you're not navigating properly in the first place. Whatever, take care and enjoy.

PPS - lots of good Guides around in the Lochaber area if you want to improve your winter skills.
Hendofan 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

No we'd pick up the wands on the way down. That'd be a pretty poor show to just leave them.. I think with the amount opportunities to get lost I might swerve it until spring. Thanks for the advice.
 Simon Yearsley 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

Assumed you'd be picking up the wands on the way down... wasn't sure they'd still be there though...
 DaveHK 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

> The plan is to wand the summit plateau so we can follow it back

Why?
mackfras 16 Feb 2015
Unless you're Harry Potter, just use a compass.
 brigsy 16 Feb 2015
In reply to mackfras:

Hendofan:

Off topic, MMA Fan?
 Buncie 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

Winter kit and the knowledge of how to use is a must. Navigation knowledge is paramount on the Ben plateau if you don't want to be a statistic. Conditions up there can change in minutes and the tourist track should not be under estimated in winter AND summer conditions. I was up there last April with 12 feet of snow cover at the summit and still "they came" in trainers and one actually crawling on hands and knees as she couldn't grip in her boots. (16:30 with around hour and a half to the top.) Having said that, the conditions got better through the week and those who got up there had the best day they could. Having picked bodies off the hill, take note of advice on here but go for it if conditions are good and have the best day you can on a wonderful hill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...