UKC

Sport in Montserrat - advice and suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 16 Feb 2015
Planning to head to Montserrat for a day or two's climbing next weekend. Will be coming from Barcelona by public transport - it looks like getting a train to the monastery should be simple.

From reading around, and the number of different guidebooks available, it seems like a big area and also like it could be chilly. I'm looking for single pitch sport around 5+ to 6a+, or multipitch 3 to 5+ (depending on run-outs...hear they can be exciting, and very happy climbing easier stuff if it's really good).

* is the stuff around the monastery good and warm, or should we head elsewhere?
* is there a select guidebook or a best one to start out with?
* how many quickdraws are generally needed?

Any suggestions of specific routes or good hikes also appreciated!
OP humptydumpty 18 Feb 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

no one?!
Removed User 18 Feb 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

At this time of year, most people climb on the south side of Montserrat. The normal base is El Bruc and the climbers bar is Bar Anna on the high street.
The bar does have a selection of guide books that you can read but not buy.
Unless the weather is windless and sunny the climbs from the monastery can be cold.
I am likely to be in the bar Anna on monday morning 10.00am if you are around. The problem re guide books is that the south facing crags have two guides, one for single pitch and another for multi pitch routes. You can probably buy them in a climbing shop in Bca.
OP humptydumpty 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:

Great, thanks. So "Cara Sur" is the place to be? Looks like there's a bus from Barcelona to El Bruc. I'll try to get hold of one of the guides before I go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...