UKC

London Cycle Superhighways

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 16 Feb 2015
Has anyone much experience of these? I am moving to London and will be ideally commuting by Bike and am trying to work out where to live.

I'm mainly interested in CS2, CS3 and CS7 as these finish reasonably close to where I'll be working.

Are they still a bit dodgy with cars? Are they reasonably fast routes or is it non-stop traffic lights etc etc?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
paulcarey 16 Feb 2015
In reply to James Malloch:

They are a bit of a mixed bag tbh. CS2 that runs along cable street is pretty good in my experience (up to the lea crossing) but it is very busy with cyclists. Most of the routes you end up stopping at traffic lights so I wouldn't describe them as 'fast'.

I find CS7 to be grim so I don't use it but have a parallel route from Raynes Park to Waterloo which takes me around 45mins along mainly back streets and b roads.

Hi mate,

I cycle along CS3 between Tower Hill and Canary wharf.
There's definitely good segregation between cycle and car traffic (you ride at pavement level). You will probably find other cyclist more of a threat! There's quite a few locations where cyclists have to give way to traffic turning across the cycle lane and vica versa, which can be a bit of a pain when people don't seem to know who's meant to be doing what. There's a few traffic lights that you sometimes catch right and a couple of pedestrian crossings...It's definitely slower than just smashing along the highway which runs parallel to the south, but is a lot more pleasant and it's only 5/10 more minutes.
I tend to ride the CS3 in the morning and if knock off work at rush hour. If I'm riding home at a quieter time or need to get home quickly I take on the highway.
JMGLondon 16 Feb 2015

I occasionally ride the entire length of CS7 to work. It's not too bad, but rather uninspiring. You need to watch out for people wandering into the cycle lanes, car doors, and vehicles when the lanes randomly dump you into the traffic.

Oh - and - if the traffic to your right is stationary keep an eye out for cars cutting across your path at junctions, usually they can't see you until the last second.

Xharlie 16 Feb 2015
I have been cycling in London for eighteen months. Cycling in London is actually alright, despite what you might hear. It is certainly better than elsewhere in England simply because the drivers are more accustomed to sharing with bicycles - at least some of them know what to do.

The cycle "super highways", however, have always felt worse than useless to me. In my experience, apart from a short stretch of segregated lane across Southwark bridge, they're just blue paint on otherwise entirely inadequate roads. (I spend most of my time within a quadrilateral with corners at Camden, the Isle of Dogs, Waterloo and Kensington)

Black cabs still cut you up to pick up passengers, across the blue paint. Parking spaces are still demarcated where the cycle lane should run and, like all cycle lanes, they begin and end abruptly, without warning and in completely obtuse locations. After a while, I've simply learned to ignore the blue paint.
Post edited at 15:07
Removed User 17 Feb 2015

I use CS7 from time to time - mostly not too bad, though there are a couple of awkward sections like where the road splits as the A23 leaves the A3 (I think) and you have to cross a lane of quite fast traffic. I get a bit alarmed in wet weather, too, as the paint they used on some sections seems almost egregiously slick (I haven't actually had any spills yet because of it, mind).
JMGLondon 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

This kind of thing happens at every junction, BTW

youtube.com/watch?v=oNHfKZJKdkg&
OP James Malloch 16 Mar 2015

Thanks for the replies (and sorry for my late reply!)

I did use the info though and should be moving to near barking this week. So, is CS3 the way to go into the centre or are there better routes to take? Someone at work mentioned a greenway but we're a little vague on the details?

Thanks!
Donnie 17 Mar 2015

I lived in London for a couple o years and cycled everywhere. It's fine. Best way to get around actually - if I'm coming down by train for work now I take my bike. Bit busy compared to elsewhere but you'll get used to it.

Just try out different routes and see what works.

paulcarey 17 Mar 2015

I have used CS3 a few times as far as Canning Town and found it to be fine - a bit busy on Cable Street (with other cyclists!) - but it's the best route to/from the Isle of Dogs. Once past the Lower Lea Crossing I cycled towards North Woolwich past City Airport which had a good cycle path. I could imagine the A13 is pretty grim so you may find that a parallel route is best.

Happy cycling!

alanw 17 Mar 2015

I live just off Cable Street so I know CS3 fairly well. Cable Street is generally great but, as Paul says, is very popular so crowded with bikes at times. I only really know the rest out to Barking at weekends getting out of the city so not sure what it's like at rush hour, but there are long segregated sections that I imagine are still very good then. Just a matter of getting used to the junctions. There might be some bits that are better off the CS3 but I'd definitely start with it and see how you go.

I'm not familiar with the Greenway but, if it is what I think it is, it might be ok but shared with pedestrians so needing a bit of care.

Also agree with Donnie that cycling is the best way to get around London and not nearly as bad as some make it out. A bit of patience and keeping your wits about you and it's fine.
OP James Malloch 20 Mar 2015

Thanks again for the replies - it's very helpful!

I've done a bit more research and think I might try to cycle the greenway until lee valley park and then go down the limehouse cut and along the Thames. It's a bit longer (10 miles) but someone at work thinks that it's the best way to avoid traffic for most of the route.

I think I might just get the train in my fort week though and then suss out the routes next weekend when it's all quiet.

One more thing, do cage type pedals make a big difference between a standard pedal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...