UKC

NEWS: Petition to Save Geyikbayiri

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Feb 2015
civilisation: campsite chalet and crag, Geyikbayiri, Turkey, 3 kbA petition has been launched to cancel a mining exploration permit pertaining to the renowned sport climbing area of Geyikbayiri, Turkey.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69511
 snoop6060 16 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC News:

"Geyikbayiri, a sport climbing area that is currently among the top 10 most important and popular climbing areas of the world"

Really? Sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me.
 Graham Booth 16 Feb 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

Obviously never been there...
 jimtitt 16 Feb 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

> "Geyikbayırı, a sport climbing area that is currently among the top 10 most important and popular climbing areas of the world"

> Really? Sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me.

It´s a claim based on the 8a.nu tick list. Portland is number 81 because only 389 ascents have been made there in the last 12 months.........
I´ve never been to Geyikbayiri either
 Simon Caldwell 16 Feb 2015
In reply to jimtitt:

I've been, and it's brilliant - even though it doesn't get properly good (apparently) until above my punterish grade.
In reply to snoop6060:

It's definitely a world class venue, the climbing there is superb!
 snoop6060 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

I didnt say it was wasnt world class, i meant it sounds like hyperbole to state it's one of the ten most important climbing places in the world. And, if as jim states, they have based that on anything that is on 8a.nu, it kinda supports my point. 8a.nu is the epicentre of climbing bollocks and hyperbole.

3 Names 16 Feb 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

Anyway............

.................What about this mining thing eh?
 Big Steve 17 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC News:
A petition will make absolutely no difference, it probably won't even be read. If people with connections to with the local or national government stand to make money from this mining then it will happen. Anybody that tries to stop it will likely find themselves branded as terrorists and face prison. This is not an exaggeration, this is what happens in Turkey these days and is part of the reason I moved back to the uk
 Aigen 17 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC News:

2 issues here. first its not world class, yes its good but hardly Yosemite. and second its turkey so they haven't a hope.
In reply to Aigen:

I think the issue is actually the mining permit and not how the crag is portrayed in a news post tbh!

The petition will probably do jack but you never know...
 ChrisJD 17 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Any links to what the mining permit actually is all about and for etc ?

Is it subsurface mining for minerals or open quarrying for limestone/minerals?

(open cast is sometimes now called surface mining to make it sound a bit nicer)

Always good to know both sides of it.
 Big Steve 17 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD: I'll ask my wife later if she can have a 'dig around' and find out anything about it, she used to work for MTA, the Turkish government mining dept.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...