UKC

Paramo Beading Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leon 1 16 Feb 2015
After years of using hardshell jackets i thought Id try a new Paramo Helki jacket. So far I really like the feel of it and the design. And although Ive had the jacket for 1 week Ive not so far used it in any rain.
However I noticed that if any water splashes do get on to the jacket, rather than any beading up it seems to just soak straight into the outer fabric -
Should there not be some beading of the water on the outer, or some sign of any DWR ? Or am I just being paranoid about it ?
Thanks for any help
Leon
 splat2million 16 Feb 2015
In reply to leon 1:

I bought a paramo aspira not long ago. Water does bead on the surface of mine, but not nearly as much as on a conventional hard-shell. Works great in the wet though.

The best way to test it is probably to go out in the rain!
In reply to leon 1:
Yes it should and does bead up if DWR in good order. All mine do except when the DWR is needing refreshed. There are occasional stories of faulty batches, so maybe yours is faulty?

As a quick test put a cupped hand part way into one of the sleeves and fill the cupped part with tap water. The water should remain in the cupped hand with no wetting out or soaking through. In practical real life use though there maybe some wetting out due to the pressure effect, wear of DWR, etc, but not usually if brand new.

Take it back if you are not happy or have doubts.
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2015
In reply to leon 1:

They normally bead a bit when new or freshly proofed, but actually most of the time mine doesn't bead but it still doesn't get me wet. The outer layer appears to wet through, but not the inner layer. Try it in the rain is really the only answer!!
OP leon 1 16 Feb 2015
Thank you all for your replys. I tried putting it over a bowl and filling the topside of the jacket with water, after 10 mins a little water had soaked through but thats probably due to the water pressure rather than faulty proofing.
I guess I`ll just have to wait and see if it ever rains near Manchester

In reply to leon 1:
> I guess I`ll just have to wait and see if it ever rains near Manchester

Or just get into the shower with it on, or under a hose . Better to know if it is faulty before you may need it to help survive say in a rainstorm on the Cairngorm plateau. I've tested new waterproofs in the shower before so I know they will work to the expected level when in the mountains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...