UKC

Extrovert or Introvert, what are you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex moore 16 Feb 2015
Hello, Recently our university course allowed us to conduct small scale research into the personality type of climbers, it pretty much boiled down to extrovert or introvert. The results were pretty mixed, most saying that most climbers are introvert but more recent study suggesting otherwise.

so which do you think you are, extro or intro?
 cander 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I'm a bit of both .....so stop trying to put me into a category!!
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Definitely extrovert.

Alyson 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I was going to write 'a bit of both' but it felt like a cop-out.

After reading the descriptions of each I couldn't decide at all which best describes me so I've just done an online quiz (this one: http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/about-the-book/quiet-quiz-are-you-an-in... )

and I came out as an ambivert, ie a bit of both!
paulcarey 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alyson:

using that online test I am an introvert.. which came as no surprise!
Rigid Raider 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Pretty extrovert if truth be told; my job exporting to Africa makes me that way.
 john arran 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Just finished your linked quiz, which confirmed my introvert nature, although it doesn't show so easily when I'm in an environment, such as climbing, where I feel very at home and confident.
 hokkyokusei 16 Feb 2015
In reply to paulcarey:

The test has me as an extrovert, but I'm not all of the time.
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

My understanding of introvert and extrovert distinctions is that it's mostly about how you relax. Plenty of introverts really enjoy being around people, but then need their own space to relax and unwind. Extroverts unwind by surrounding themselves with people. So my idea of a relaxing evening is having loads of friends round for food and board games or a bonfire, whereas my husband enjoys having people over for theses evenings, but then needs a quiet night the next night with no one around so he can relax.
 Clarence 16 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Definitely introvert for me. I would rather have a good piece of wood and my best whittling knife than company.
redsonja 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

According to the test I am introvert- which is what I would have said anyway
 goose299 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I'm an introvert accordign to the test. I'd say a lot of my friends think otherwise though
 hokkyokusei 16 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

That's interesting. I enjoy both, but prefer a mix.
 Neil Williams 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I was going to say bit of both, thought the same, did the quiz and also came out as a bit of both!

Neil
 coinneach 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

According to the survey I am an introvert ( as I answered question 12 the phone rang . . . . . I let it go to voicemail )

But at the same time my job involves managing and coaching 20 + people and in my spare time I'm the lead singer in a band.

So maybe a bit of both.
 Timmd 16 Feb 2015
In reply to coinneach:
I sometimes wonder whether parts of being an introvert can come from past experiences, and there's something which pushes against that to do with finding a fulfilling life?

I came out as an introvert, but my 'ideal job' would involve what's called community engagement in doing things with groups of people.

As it says at the end of the test, we're all be a mixture.
Post edited at 17:33
abseil 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

> so which do you think you are, extro or intro?

I'm much too shy, and busy reading my book and ignoring the phone and the doorbell, to tell you.
Removed User 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I'm INTP on the Myers Briggs assessment which puts me in the Introvert category. Remember its a spectrum but I am strongly Introvert.

mackfras 17 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

What girlymonkey said!

People re constantly surprised that I'm strongly introvert because I like being in company and at work I'm certainly not shy (and manage a large team). But, at weekends I NEED a few hours to myself. And, nothing annoys me more than people who can't deal with silence and feel the need to fill it with inane chat. Guess the beauty of climbing is that once you're climbing there is limited opportunity for that!
 Trevers 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I'm an ambivert, probably slightly more on the introvert side. I used to think I was fully introvert, but actually it was only that I had quiet tendencies due to shyness/self esteem issues.
 gavmac 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I'm definitely an introvert. I suspect this is also dependent on where I am mentally/mood wise. The lower I feel, the more I seek space and isolation. Of course, that's not always a good thing.

I think i've probably become more introverted as i've grown older. I do really enjoy peoples company but bigger social situations where there is pressure to interact more fill me with dread. Come to think of it, so do smaller social situations! I'm just mental really
 felt 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I'm a classic M-B INTP.
 Urban5teve 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I too am ambivert.
This surprises me somewhat! Although I'm not exactly attracted to partaking in the performance arts, I do not suffer with shyness due to a general disregard for others opinions about me. I am quite comfortable giving speeches etc.

I do like a lot of me time though. I often do activities on my own and enjoy the solitude.

Jimbo C 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Either, depending on my mood and who I'm with. Your mixed results would suggest that climbing is an activity that any person can enjoy regardless of personality. Of course you would need a similar survey of the general population to compare it to. I think climbing comes pretty naturally to all of us.
 Jon Stewart 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Total INTJ: "I have feelings. I just don't let them make my decisions".

That probably comes across in what I post on here, and the fact that I bother posting long responses to explain how bad other people's ideas are.
 yeti 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

oh dear 11/12 introvert

almost too introverted to reply here...
In reply to girlymonkey:

Radio 4 this morning had a programme about autism (well, an interview with Simon Baron-Cohen: 'One To One' 9:30-9.45am), of which I caught a couple of minutes [now listened to it all on iPlayer; short, but quite interesting]. But it reminded me that introversion seems to be associated with autistic spectrum personality. And AS personality is associated with engineering and mathematics.

I come out as introvert on Myers-Briggs, I'm an engineer, and, whilst I enjoy social gatherings, they're tiring for me, and I often need to take 'time out' either during them, or afterwards. So I'm probably somewhere along the autistic spectrum. Well, somewhere towards the autism end; we're all somewhere along the spectrum...

Since a lot of climbers seem to be science or engineering types, it wouldn't surprise me to find a majority are introvert. Then there's the issue of the solitary nature of climbing, versus team sports.
 coinneach 17 Feb 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Maybe you climb with engineering / science types because you are an engineer?

I've climbed with a nurse, a doctor, a joiner, a violin restorer, a youth worker and a professor ( all on the same day)

But never an engineer or scientist but that's maybe because I don't know any.
 Brass Nipples 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:
I take introvert to mean that you internalise your thinking which appears as thoughtful. You need to think about something quietly and it rarely involves others till you've thought something through. An extrovert externalises their thinking, so they are one who is always thinking out loud asking why, how questions etc. They do their thinking out loud, which for an introvert can be a little annoying. We are asking, why can't you work it out yourself? But to the extrovert they are. It doesn't explicitly relate to whether you are the life and soul in company. Both introverts and extroverts can display that characteristic.

I'd call myself introvert on the above basis.
Post edited at 21:50
 jkarran 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Neither or a bit of both, it depends on the situation.
jk
In reply to coinneach:
I was judging more by UKC contributors, many of whom are science/engineering types.

But also as a very gross generalisation, and certainly not trying to say that only scientist/engineer types are climbers...

ps. Interesting that you don't consider a doctor to be a 'science type'...
Post edited at 23:02
 nufkin 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> We are thinking, 'why can't you shut up?'

Fixed that for you
 Brass Nipples 19 Feb 2015
In reply to nufkin:

> Fixed that for you

That as well
andymac 19 Feb 2015
In reply to yeti:
> oh dear 11/12 introvert

> almost too introverted to reply here...

Another introvert here.

Post edited at 21:05
 Jon Stewart 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I think it would be interesting (because I'm an INTJ) to do a more detailed study that looked at correlation between Myers-Briggs types and the types of climbing people are mostly into (trad, bouldering, sport, winter).

Trad climbing seems to me like a very introverted activity, a bit less so sport and much less bouldering. If you include all disciplines of climbing, you might wash out some strong correlations that exist in the detail.
 mrbird 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Wonder if it wouldve been the same 40-50 years ago with the likes of Don Whillians, etc?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...