UKC

Abseil bolt found on saddle head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed morris 16 Feb 2015
My brother found a recently placed expansion bolt near the top out of 'A Grand Day Out' (a HVS on the far west side of the head). Its used by cavers to access the cave Ogof Gofan. Its unnecessary as there is a stake and other gear to abb off. Does anyone care about this?

Edd
 The Pylon King 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

Take it out
 tony 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

> My brother found a recently placed expansion bolt near the top out of 'A Grand Day Out' (a HVS on the far west side of the head). Its used by cavers to access the cave Ogof Gofan. Its unnecessary as there is a stake and other gear to abb off. Does anyone care about this?

I suspect the cavers do.
 Oceanrower 16 Feb 2015
In reply to tony:
The cavers, it seems, very strongly do care. But not in the way you might think.

I think you'll find most of them really, really won't want it there!
Post edited at 19:04
OP Ed morris 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

I don't have the time or gear to remove it. I was making people aware of it so that someone with the kit might be able to do it.
In reply to Oceanrower:

Correct Nigel. I found the bolt while showing some cavers how to find the cave. I was pretty surprised to be honest but not disgusted until I thought about it. I have done a lot of rigging of vertical caves and generally don't give a f*** about putting in bolts but only IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS, the underground environment is often chossy and rope rub must be avoided at any cost. Saddle head is clearly not choss. I can see why this caver has gotten into the habit of indiscriminate bolting and probably did not realise the caridnal sin they were commiting (how many non climbers are going to know there are no bolts in Pembroke).

Of course its totally unecessary, there are heaps of sling placements, a stake and even an old spit in the area. I shall post something on UK caving and remove the bolt on my next trip in that direction. Unless there are any major objections?

Dickon

ChrisJD 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

All those years going to Pembroke cliffs and didn't know that was there!:

http://www.ogof.org.uk/ogof_gofan.html
 Oceanrower 16 Feb 2015
In reply to pembrokeshirecaver:

Hi Dickon,

Already put a link to this thread on UKC.
 Oceanrower 16 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

> All those years going to Pembroke cliffs and didn't know that was there!:

And, with this particular cave, that appears to be the way it should be.

There are certain conservation issues.
 ChrisJD 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

Its a pretty website.

Memory Lane Hijack...

Brings back memories of going down Quarry Pot many many years ago. That entrance was a right struggle:

http://www.ogof.org.uk/llanelly_quarry_pot.html

ends...
 The Pylon King 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

Yes i was just generalising.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...