UKC

Quark trigrest query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rob Stratton 17 Feb 2015
Hi any Petzel Quark users!

I've just bought a pair of Quarks, and would be glad of any feedback from any experienced Quark users as to whether once climbing they actually choose to adjust the trigrest once on a route? I am off to Glencoe shortly, and would be wrapping tape around my axes for insulation, but am hesitating how to do so because of the Trigrest. So I would be glad to hear whether
1. when holding the axe in the conventional lower handle position, users find resting the index finger on the trigrest for extra support is useful. (For me, concerns are that (a) the rest will then require regular adjustment en route if changing from thicker to thinner gloves, and that (b) in practice it might place undue strain on the index finger.)
and 2. whether users ever slide the trigrest up the shaft to offer support beneath the hand when daggering?
....all of which will inform how far down I choose to wrap the axe tape!
 Brian Pollock 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Rob Stratton:

I took the triggers off, principally, because when you're pumped and just wanting to grab the handle it gets in the way, especially, on a gloved hand. Also, it still plunges fine with the upper grip fixed lower down the tool and if you're putting grip tape on the shaft there is absolutely no need to have the upper grip rest moved high on the tool (for daggering or whatever).

elliptic 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Same as above. I set the upper rests at the top of the handle, chop the triggers off leaving the inner (locking) bit and tape the whole of the upper shaft. Regarding which, plumber's self-amalgamating tape is what you want! Cheap as chips from Halfords or a DIY shop.
 BruceM 17 Feb 2015

Likewise as above. The trigger tore a hole in index finger of my favourite gloves first time out. So I permanently removed it and tightened the nut up solid with the upper rest sitting just above main grip/handle.

Upper rest is great in that position for short-axe like semi-daggering on steepish neve slopes.
 Tricadam 17 Feb 2015

I find the wee trig rest works well for me: takes some of the load off your pinky and just generally gives a feeling of precision and security. I initially put grip tape on too low though and needed to remove some to allow the trig rest to move up to accommodate larger gloves once winter came on. I've considered moving the trig rest up and down mid-route to accommodate changing between gloves and mitts, but I don't like the idea of fiddling with my tool in the middle of the job (as it were). I climb with these on (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=608912&v=1#x7985086) so hands don't get cold enough while climbing to require mitt-on mode anyway.
drmarten 17 Feb 2015
I've just redone the taping on my Quarks with 2 rolls of self amalgamating B&Q tape (£3.25 each rings a bell), I taped them down to just cover the rivot/pin about half way down. This gives me the grip I need on the top of the axe, I've found things a bit slippy when my gloves were frozen but the tape provides a good grip. I have the trigrest usually left at the top of the bottom rubber grip to allow me to hold the axe comfortably with index finger in the trigger. With the taping extending to about half way along the shaft I've some scope to move the trigrest but I can't say I'm one for adjusting it regularly, if ever when on route.
Post edited at 16:45
 lcullum7 17 Feb 2015

Personally I've found that the trigger is quite nice on mixed ground as it makes the axes feel more precise when they are in all sorts of torquing/hooking positions, but as above they can sometimes feel like they are in the way on steep ice and I did think it was slightly more comfortable when I took them off. Since I fiddled with them the triggers have stayed on permanently though as I could have switched them in and out depending on what I was planning to climb but to me it makes too little difference to be worth the faff.

When I first got my axes I experimented with moving the trigrests up the shaft, just because I could, and decided that there was no real benefit. It's also nice to be able to go straight from daggering to a more conventional swing without having to stop and alter your axes all the time. Moving them up or down a notch is something I have occasionally done to accommodate different glove sizes mid-route but I usually leave them set to the correct size for the thinnish gloves I lead in, and then when wearing thicker gloves there is plenty of room to squish the extra material in to, which does not feel uncomfortable or cumbersome.

So the fact I don't move my triggers around means I have taped all the way down to the top of the orange plastic in the handle and is great like that. I also added some electrical tape to sort of 'seal the end' to stop the grip tape getting caught and peeling off upwards and that worked well, and stayed stuck on for a few seasons which was longer than I expected!
Rob Stratton 17 Feb 2015

Many thanks all for the feedback, and for what may follow. Really helpful. As no-one is using the trigrest to aid daggering, I am clear I can now tape as much of the shaft as possible for grip and insulation, so I am now saved colder hands and poor grip on an iced up shaft! I am inclined to forget the trig-rest altogether, as I can feel a 'pumped up wanting to grab my axe in a hurry' feeling coming on already. However, as quite a few of you seem to find it useful I am probably going to have to find that out for myself in a fortnight! (May it stay cold enough.) Also great tips about the plumbers tape, dachstiens, etc.
 Tricadam 17 Feb 2015

Rob, if you haven't already bought tape, this is what I went for after doing a bit of reasearch here and on other forums: http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/self-amalgamating-tape-scotch-23-19mm-x-915m-1-ro... Just as grippy as the DMM stuff, considerably harder-wearing and a good bit cheaper metre for metre.
Rob Stratton 17 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Ha! Thanks adamarchie. Unfortunately, had already got the DDM tape from UP & Under! Interested in your Dachstein mitt idea for gloves. I think Dachsteins are great, except when they ice up so can't grip my axe. Wonder whether I might experiment with sealant on the palms to keep them from icing up.
 Tricadam 18 Feb 2015

Rob, that's a pretty good idea! May have to experiment myself. The next step in the inexorable evolution of the Ultimate Scottish Winter Glove!
 Tricadam 18 Feb 2015

BTW if you tape up with the DMM stuff, don't bite it! Mine now has lots of holes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...