UKC

Fencing and Paving Quote.... Is this reasonable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 17 Feb 2015

I haven't yet had any conversations around discounts for cash etc, but I'm pretty shocked by a quote I've just received to do 2 small bits of fencing, and lay a decent base for a workshop.

864 for the workshop base 12'x8' hardcore and contrete base
386 for 5 meters of wooden posted board fencing with a small gate in it
347 for 5 meters of fencing with contrete posts and close board panels

£1600 in total

I'm probably going to get another quote, but thought I would ask opinions on what is reasonable... the thing is it's something I could do myself, but it will eat up a fair few weekends and I don't want to do my back in!

If it makes a difference I'm in Surrey
Post edited at 14:14
 zimpara 17 Feb 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yes its reasonable. If you have ever laid paving properly you will pay the money no questions asked.

My experience 80m square patio=hurt locker. Back damaged, knees damaged. Cost a lot doing it myself anyway
 Rob Naylor 17 Feb 2015
In reply to zimpara:
> My experience 80m square patio=hurt locker. Back damaged, knees damaged. Cost a lot doing it myself anyway

Not surprised....80 metres square is a pretty massive job for one person (and a huge patio). I might have tackled 80 square metres though!
Post edited at 14:31
 funkyvin1 17 Feb 2015
In reply to
I'm in the trade (unfortunately too far from you to quote for you).

The fencing prices look ok as materials for fencing if buying quality stuff can be more expensive than you would think. The gate will add cost also because pre made gates can be expensive, especially when adding the relevant gate furniture. There is also the disposal of whatever the fencing is replacing and access to the work site to consider.

The workshop base perhaps less so but depends how they are building it (prep required beforehand, depth of hardcore, depth of concrete, steel reinforced etc) so difficult to comment on that.

I'm sure you could probably get them down a bit on price for the project if you spoke to them, especially if you had other like for like quotes that were cheaper.

Hope that helps a bit....
 jimjimjim 17 Feb 2015

Seems okay to me, at least not overly expensive.
If they come on recommendation and are known for a good job it's worth paying a bit more.

"> I haven't yet had any conversations around discounts for cash etc, "

I would be careful talking like that around here if I were you

Mad Tommy 17 Feb 2015

If it helps, the person I use to do fencing charges a flat £120 for each 6 foot fence panel, which includes concrete posts, gravel boarding and trellis on top, and removing the old panels and posts. He and his team replaced 10 panels earlier this year over a 2 day period: it would have taken me several weekends just to have dug all the old posts out!
OP balmybaldwin 17 Feb 2015

Ok, thanks guys, that gives me some reassurance.

The guy that's quoting me comes recommended by the people supplying my workshop (glorified shed) and is committed to be able to do the work before the workshop arrives (mid April) which is part of the attraction.

In terms of the base this is what he's doing:
Shed base (12’ x 8’) – Excavate where required and remove excess materials from site. Construct shuttering using 150mm x 50mm treated timber. Supply spread and compact hardcore to a finished depth of 50mm. Lay a poured concrete base to a depth of 100mm and screed to finished level.
 Wsdconst 17 Feb 2015

I'm a builder and I'd say as far as the base goes it might seem expensive but there's a metre of concrete in it,at least a ton of hardcore that's £200 at least (I don't know where you live or your local prices) £60+ for the timber,£175 for a skip (if it's needed),so we re upto £435 already is there any concrete to remove ? If so he make need to hire a concrete breaker which cost at least £50 a day does he use a mini digger again another cost.even if not at £435 for materials that only leaves you with £429 to cover wages, diesel, vehicle running costs, tools and equipment maintenance and plus mr tax man who wants his share too. I have been optimistic with the prices too, if you live further south it could be more
 Fraser 17 Feb 2015

Do you need the screed? Seems slightly overkill to me for a shed, which will presumably already come with a timber floor.
 jimjimjim 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Yeah....not sure you'll need or want a screed unless that's the finish on the floor for the shed?
 Wsdconst 17 Feb 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

Sometimes'screed' is used just as a term for the way the concretes finished if there's 50 mm hardcore and 100mm concrete then the shuttering which is 150mm won't accommodate anything else.one thing worth mentioning if the concrete is to be the floor then it really needs a Damp proof membrane under the concrete,I'd be inclined to put it in anyway as it gives a longer working time to the concrete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...