UKC

Kettle bells for alpinism/mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 17 Feb 2015

Hi

Anyone use those ? And apart from the "swing", anything else you do? I am wanting more power and endurance in the calves and thighs

Lots of advice online, including books such as the one by Steve House etc which I have read but then I am just an amateur mountaineer/climber

I already do a fair bit of trail running, cycling, indoor climbing, and weights such as clean and jerks etc. i go hiking when I can. I think I have quite a good base, and every now and again prior to a trip, find that I need to up some specific training and been toying with using kettle bells for a little while now.

Thanks

Avi
Post edited at 17:44
 Philo22 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

I've found them pretty helpful for core strength and all round fitness, especially leg muscles and lower back. I generally combine them with some body weight exercises - sit ups, pushups, plank etc.
There's some good kb routines online, recommend starting light though depending on how much you are doing already as I tend to ache quite a bit after a kb session.
leg strength wise there's loads of other moves beside the standard swing. Check out goblet squats or lunge-and twists.

mctrials23 20 Feb 2015

I didn't think the legs were supposed to be very involved in correct kettlebell swings but I might be wrong. I understood it was a hip hinge and you get minimum help from the legs. They are great for core and that area but there are much better exercises for the legs.
 scaredandweak 20 Feb 2015

If you tie them to your harness, it'll make you stronger!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...