UKC

Peroneus Brevis Split

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scott Anderson 18 Feb 2015
Evening all,

so have been getting a pain in my right foot after walking hard (I walk for a living) or after any climbing, and have had it checked out.

Following an MRI turns out I have about a 2cm tear / split in the peroneus brevis tendon and surgery is required. The consultant has recommended not climbing and cutting back how much time I spend on my feet, and a repair surgery which I'm now on the list for (about 5weeks away).

Ive done a some searching and have read a few reports online regarding healing time and usage afterwards but haven't seen much from any climbers, so just wondering if anyone else on here has had the same op, how long they took to heal and how long was it before they were back out climbing?

Also besides the finger board anyone got any good ideas for staying strong during 6 weeks of non-weight bearing?
In reply to fifth:

Bump
 Rob Naylor 19 Feb 2015
In reply to fifth:

Just typed a long reply and then it vanished into the ether!

I'll type it again when I can, but yes, I had this op and the 6 weeks non weight bearing was just the start. More in a bit.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Talk about a tease! Ill look forward to your reply Rob!

Cheers in advance for any insight

Scott
 Rob Naylor 20 Feb 2015
In reply to fifth:

Scott,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you.

I had an op on my right ankle in 2010. It wasn't just for a Peroneus Brevis split, though. The main triggers were removal of a Haglund's Spur from my heel, with de-calcification of the inner side of the Achilles tendon and also surgery to create a channel behind my ankle for the Peroneus Longus tendon to run in (it had become dislocated and was riding up onto my ankle).

The Brevis split was (apparently) the most minor of the corrections required....similar to yous I expect: a 2 cm longitudinally in the middle of the tendon.

The op went well, and I had 6 weeks in a cast, non load-bearing. What they didn't tell me until AFTER the op was that for the first 4 weeks of this I'd have to inject Heparin into my belly every day (clotting prevention measure). The first few days of doing this was terrible for me but after that it became "normal" and I didn't worry about it.

I was also not prepared for the long haul to full recovery. After the cast, I was in a "boot" for another 6 weeks, which preculded driving. It was load-bearing and I started to walk on it, but it was a slow business before I was able to walk significant distances.

Following that was about 8 weeks of physio, where I gradually improved joint mobility and strengthened the leg again.

However, discomfort persisted and I wasn't able to do a great deal of strenuous activity throughout 2011 (climbing was possible, on short climbs, mainly indoors, but became uncomfortable afte a while. Running was pretty much out....I did no races in 2011 at all. Hill walking in summer boots was OK, with poles, but Winter mountaineering was a big challenge in stiff boots, and even as late as Feb 2012 I wasn't able to go out for 2 consecutive days.

In fact, discomfort persisted into 2012, and a further MRI scan then showed that although the Achilles and Longus parts of the op had gone well, the Brevis was healing VERY slowly and was the cause of most of my continuing problems. Apparently these longitudinal splits can take ages to heal...and I'm also pushing 60 which adds to healing time! I had another course of physio and also took it very easy....walking a lot, but not on tricky terrain. There was a possibility of another op on the Brevis, but the physio and activity slow-down seemed to do the trick....I'd probably been trying to do too much too soon which impacted very significantly on the Brevis healing time.

The first time I felt happy in winter hills was Feb 2013, when I managed a couple of Munros with long walk-ins, and some decent routes in Wales. I ran a half-marathon in 2013, too. Last year I managed 3 half marathons, a 10 miler and 6 or 7 10 k races, some over rough terrain, so reckon I'm a s good as I'm going to get now. Everything seems fine in that ankle ( I can still "feel" the screws in the Achilles but it's not "discomfort"....I just know they're there).

I stress that the Achilles and Longus interventions healed quite quickly and it was the Brevis that took the time. My physio bollocked me royally on the second course of physio as she said it was obvious I'd been trying to do too much too soon and contributed significantly to the delayed healing of the Brevis.

Re keeping strong while non-load-bearing immediately post-op: I mostly did upper body workout stuff, with some single leg squats. I also did some resistance work on the non-load-bearing upper leg to try and keep some muscle tone in the quads and hamstrings, at least. It worked to an extent, but my calves on that leg were pretty wasted when the pot came off!

Sorry if this reads quite negative, but I guess the main thing is not to do what I did and delay healing/ full recovery by trying to get back into things too eagerly.
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Hi again Rob,

Thanks so much for your reply, it really is great to hear what you've been through! And wow sounds like you had some issues with the foot!

I was worried as the surgeons said that worst case it lifts off behind the Achilles and then it won't be so simple to reattach!

So the brevis was the one that took the longest to repair, do you know how you torn it?
Post edited at 19:22
 Rob Naylor 23 Feb 2015
In reply to fifth:

Scott,

No idea how I tore the brevis. I guess on one of my off-road runs. I didn't know it was torn until I had the MRI scan, which was mainly to look at the Haglund's spur/ achilles calcification and to find out exactly what could be done about the dislocated longus (which I'd had for years at that point, just never done anything about it). The surgeon just pointed out, almost like an afterthought: "oh, and here's a split in the brevis tendon, too, we'll fix that at the same time"!

I guess that a lot of the healing time for the brevis, as well as being down to me trying to do too much too soon on the foot, was due to my age, so if you're much younger than me it might well heal up much more quickly. Fingers crossed for you!
 Yanis Nayu 23 Feb 2015
In reply to fifth:

I thought that was the bit between your arse and your balls?
 Rob Naylor 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yer ankle bone's connected to yer leg bone, yer leg bone's connected to yer knee bone, yer knee bone's connected to yer thigh bone, yer thigh bone's connected to yer hip bone, yer hip bone's connected to the bit between yer arse and yer balls....now hear the word o' the lord!
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Yeah I'm 36 and relatively fit so hopefully the down time shouldn't be too bad. (Fingers crossed!!)
The trouble I'm having with it is mainly balance related, as there is almost slack in my ankle (or foot) so with every step your conscious that it's a little loose. The surgeon demonstrated this to me during the consult. As it's loose I compensate by tensing up more than I should, I think I'm also pulling my toes back slightly on each step and again this is causing pain in the area.

If it's taught me anything it's pay attention to proper healing times. But hey live and learn eh!!
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Ha yeah would be a touch worrying if Id managed to put a 2.5cm tear in that eh!?
Post edited at 09:07
 Yanis Nayu 01 Mar 2015
In reply to fifth:

I do actually know what it is, because I hurt mine over Christmas so looked it up. It was bloody painful; I was lucky in that I was able to almost completely rest it for a few days as I wasn't at work. It still grumbles a bit.

Good luck with your recovery.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thanks Yanis, really hope luck is on my side with it!!
 Olaf Prot 02 Mar 2015
In reply to fifth:

...and I thought this was about the break up of a Finnish heavy metal band!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...