UKC

Peak Advice with Children

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timbers 19 Feb 2015
Hello there,

After a bit of UKC wisdom please!

Can anyone recommend me a nice spot around Castleton on a small river for my two kids (2yrs & 4yrs) where they can play in, throw stones, make little dams, that sort of thing please?

Doesn't have to be really close, am travelling from Nottingham and stopping near Castleton tonight, so anywhere on the way also.

Thanks.
 climber34neil 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timbers:

You could go up to Edale and walk up grindsbrook , there is the stream that runs through castleton that they can splash about in ( mind the ducks though!) Runs along side the main car park and you can walk along following it through the village
 climber34neil 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timbers:

Also padley gorge is very popular for that sort of thing. Park at the top for a quick hop down to it or park at Grindleford station and follow the gorge up through the woods passing waterfalls and stuff on the way
 johncook 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timbers:

Dovedale. About 30 miles from Castleton, but is easy to get to and has a shallow river area near the car park. My kids loved it. The water will be very cold.
 ChrisJD 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timbers:

For ease of access with 2 & 4 year olds, Padley is perfect.

Park here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Adj+Granby+Wood/@53.3158352,-1.6125332,...

Weather horrid today in the Peak.
 winhill 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timbers:

if you go via hathersage, quickest way frequently, then there is a short circular walk you do from North Lees Hall round to Brookfield via Green's House. has stepping stones, a little bridge and lots of opportunities for getting wet.
OP timbers 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timbers:

Thank you all very much for some good ideas.

It's going to get wet!

Cheers.
 Toccata 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timbers:

Bradwell brook just off the village green (with play park).

Cressbrook/ Rubicon interesting for kids although dams might be a bit of a push. Ditto Lathkill Dale from Over Haddon.

Carsington Water has stone beaches where people build the stones into castles and the like. Good play park/cafe etc.

Second the advice on Dovedale.
OP timbers 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Toccata:

Thanks for taking the time to give me the info. lots of ideas,

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...