UKC

The influence of schools/school age kids on gender stereotypes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 19 Feb 2015

I am just musing, but basically, I have noticed that since my son started school there have been remarkable changes in behaviour/communication output let's say. There are a lots of comments such as " the girls do...xyz", the boys do this." Today (he never wants to wear a jacket claiming "Scots don't feel the cold" (WTF?)) he said: You know boys don't get cold, it's just the girls that need jackets!) That's just one comment, but there are loads of similar things). A red rag to my feminist winter-climbing self ! Something he certainly doesn't get from his home life - either myself or his dad (who doesn't like the cold).
What is that they do in school with kids? He has had lots of male /female friends in nursery before, but there was never such distinction/ segragation.
Just wondering. Anyone got any similar experiences?
Post edited at 23:47
Graeme G 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Heike:
> What is that they do in school with kids?

Nothing. He's coming into contact with a complex social situation informed by his perception, that of all his classmates and their understanding of self as defined by their social connections ie parents, grandparents etc.

You should take pride that through your influence your children will impact on the lives of many other kids.
Post edited at 23:53
abseil 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> ....You should take pride that through your influence your children will impact on the lives of many other kids.

Great reply!

And to the OP, yes I've noticed it, peer pressure is powerful and I think in many cases it might strengthen as kids go up through school years. I also won't be the least bit surprised if it's stronger in school than in nursery. BUT I think, FWIW, that in the long run parental influence is stronger than peer influence.
Graeme G 20 Feb 2015
In reply to abseil:
Thanks. I was quite far through a bottle of wine when i wrote it so am impressed i could be so articulate whilst half pissed.
Post edited at 06:20
In reply to Heike:

I take it you do challenge these assertions...?

Stand him in the garden and hose him down, leave him there for a couple of hours, and then ask him if he feels the cold, or wants a jacket...

Yanis Nayu 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Heike:

I suspect thousands of years of human nature just might have something to do with it.
OP Heike 20 Feb 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
Not necessary... We had to have a picnic this afternoon in the garden whilst it's sleating and still no jacket for the wee man!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...